Hip Shooting

Forum to discuss close quarter shooting.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Hip Shooting

Post by Ryan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:48 am

Thoughts on hip shooting as opposed to aimed fire?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

seal236

Re: Hip Shooting

Post by seal236 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Everything has its place... With a laser and nvgs, sitting down and shooting from the hip with a automatic weapon works the best.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:49 pm

So for say the LMG? Do you use a handgrip then?

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Ryan wrote:So for say the LMG? Do you use a handgrip then?
Like the M60 or it's replacement, the M240? The M60E3 was the version I used, on occasion, to great effect.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:24 am

M240 is an MMG, would be awkward say without a sling! I was thinking more the M249 SAW, the new IAR. I suppose you hip shoot less with carbines than machineguns but I've seen some entry maneuvers in which the carbine is brought to the hip on buttonhook, so it's possible.

25:00.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:28 am

I remember a documentary on a supercarrier of the US Navy where one of the men comments that the M60 was much easier to shoot from the hip than the new M240s that were being phased in.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:31 pm

jimothy_183 wrote:I remember a documentary on a supercarrier of the US Navy where one of the men comments that the M60 was much easier to shoot from the hip than the new M240s that were being phased in.
I preferred the 60 compared to the 240, personally.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:46 pm

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:08 pm

How did you find that picture of me?? Don't I look...um... Heroic? LOL. :D
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:39 am

jimothy_183 wrote:I remember a documentary on a supercarrier of the US Navy where one of the men comments that the M60 was much easier to shoot from the hip than the new M240s that were being phased in.
Yeah because when it comes to the LMG's, they're much more agile and you'd think that there would be less hip-shooting.

For example our 7.62 "F89" - The Maximi.

What difference would that make as compared to these huge monsters like the M60 and M240's in 7.62...
P.S. note the handgun grip for hip shooting!

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:07 am

I don't mean to be nit picky but by strict definition a light machine gun is classed as such when it is chambered for an intermediate calibre (e.g: 5.56) and the GPMG/MMG is full powered (7.62). The MK48 (AKA the "maximi") is by definition a GPMG.

As for differences as far as I can see the main ones are in weight and price. The MK48 is lighter but more expensive while the 240s and MAGs are the other way around. Remember that the MK48 was developed as a response to a request by USSOCOM to create a new 7.62 machine gun that would be lighter and therefore easier to carry on foot across long distances. One of the disadvantages of the MK48 however was that it has a shorter service life (wears out faster) but the amount of funding that USSOCOM gets made this a viable solution. Regular units on the other hand cannot afford it so they have to stick with the 240s. The US Army however now have the new 240L which is lighter but not as light as the MK48. Theres an even newer version of the 240 under development called the 240LW which is even lighter.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:43 am

:lol: Basically what I meant is...

Agility was the topic. I was comparing the Minimi to Maximi in those terms because it's going from 5.56 to 7.62 without the drawbacks of such compared with the MAG58, etc. Does the build make any difference as compared with the big boys M60 and M240 in the same cartridge? Therefore does it make a more positive difference to hip shooting?

Then note the hand-grip, which helps stabilize whilst firing from the hip. It's like comparing hip shooting two 7.62's: The Maximi as compared to the MAG58. Shorter barrel, different build which is similar to LMGs and weighs a little less. Also, as LMGs have "less kick" on them, do you think you would hip shoot it less? Or is hip shooting just apart of the game as an MG?

I dun't need no edjumacatin' son! :lol: But you were right to correct, I had wrote my sentence completely wrong that now I look back, doesn't make any sense. I meant to talk about LMGs in terms of agility and then ask about the 7.62 version with this agility, the MMG "Maximi", with "LMG build" but instead made it look like I was talking about the Maximi as an LMG. :evil:

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:46 am

Hence the importance of good articulation and grammar. :wink:

Return to “CQB Shooting”