One eye vs both eyes open

Forum to discuss close quarter shooting.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bihwar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

One eye vs both eyes open

Post by bihwar » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:59 am

What do you guys think about one eye vs both eyes open? personally I like to keep my both eyes open.

Dramatikk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: One eye vs both eyes open

Post by Dramatikk » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:02 pm

I would say it depends on whether you are shooting with a pistol, rifle, shotgun and what type of equipment you got on the firearm ...

Aiming with pistol: Both eyes open.

Aiming with rifle: One eye open.

Aiming with shotgun: One eye open.

But again, it's up to the gunner himself to decide whether to shoot with one or both eyes open. It is kind of like a " ... Feel good, Do good." mentality on this matter.

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 am

Aslong as it's with the dominant eye. :?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:30 am

semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Hmmm ... I'm right handed, but I think my left eye is the dominant one, and this may be the reason why I can not aim with both eyes open when I shoot with either a rifle or a shotgun. This is also the reason why I have to close my left eye in order to better aim with my rifle. hehe

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:54 pm

I don't know if you watched all the vids but the second one from the top addresses people who are cross dominant
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:29 am

I shoot with both eyes open, pistol, smg and long gun. It's just the way I was trained.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

sgo.ramirez

Post by sgo.ramirez » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:58 pm

It's always a matter of individual practice and situation but the is important adventage of aiming with both eyes which is good to consider. In multitarget situation when we close one eye we lose half of our sight (not literly but this helps to visualize problem). Secondly with closed eye we can't accurately assess distance and dimension because eyes use stereoscopic vision which allows us to see in three dimensions.
Dominant eye - unfortunately it would be easier to change arm then accustom to nondominant eye. But thats just mine opinion.

GgDd

Post by GgDd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:12 pm

sgo.ramirez wrote: Dominant eye - unfortunately it would be easier to change arm then accustom to nondominant eye.
Yes, it is. I'm righthanded but left eye dominant and found much more effective to shoot rifles and shotguns from my left shoulder than to try to aim with my right eye (99% of time I use iron sights, with optics I can shoot from right shoulder, aiming with my right eye).

AGR416

Post by AGR416 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 am

Guys,

Keep in mind that stereoscopic vision is mostly important for depth percetion at short distances, closer than 20 feet. For further distances monocular cues are more important. So, the effect on shooting from having one eye closed is greatly exaggerated. It has more to do with hand-eye coordination, ie grabbing stuff, balance etc.

I personally shoot both eyes open at close range, but close my non-dominant eye when shooting at longer ranges as it gives me a crisper sight picture.

A good source of information:

http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~salmonto/vs3_ ... ture13.pdf

Also, you only suffer a slightly reduced field of vision when closing one eye:

[/img]http://static.enotes.com/images/nursing ... mg0450.jpg[/img]

Return to “CQB Shooting”