New to airsoft?

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

New to airsoft?

Post by Ryan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:36 am

Is there any tips for people who are new to airsoft?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

marleynrs8

Re: New to airsoft?

Post by marleynrs8 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:27 am

Well first off, just have fun with it. That's the most important thing, it is a hobby after all. One thing to do is never flaunt your "airsoft prowess" to people who actually are in the military or police, though. Understand that they would laugh at the idea of you knowing more then them due to the fact that you sling plastic at people every now and then. Just be respectful and not mouthy.

Also, I would advise not getting caught up in the "gear queer" category. It can be fun to purchase tactical equipment and look all cool, but always ask yourself, "Do I really need this?" Normally I find myself saying no to things I consider buying. Alot of people waste thousands of dollars and time invested in this gear stuff, and none of this time was time actually spent playing the sport. Always put tactics first. Your first few games, you will probably just follow people who look experienced. But, as you get broken in, don't be afraid to lead. If you see something as a cluster****, fix it. Become decisive and think critically, and coordinate manuevers with your teammates.

Alot of airsofters hide behind the capabilities of their automatic AEG's and throw solid infantry tactics out the door. The ones that are more concerned about "kills" than objectives are the ones to look out for. Normally these are kids who camp in one spot and shoot at anything that moves, including friendlies. Again, avoid them alongside the gear queers who talk about gear rather than planning for the upcoming OP. Always keep forward momentum. Don't be scared to get shot while advancing on an objective, it doesn't hurt too much and you can respawn or get healed. Again, prod along your teammates to advance. If they're too scared to conduct a close-quarters assault, make them give you covering fire.

Never be afraid of CQB. Master it. BB's don't shoot that far, but 60% of airsofters(in my opinion) are scared of close quarters engagements. Take advantage of this, and dominate the room/structure/fort/gully/etc. It helps me to constantly think of the rifleman's job. Locate, close with, and destroy the enemy. Too many airsofters camp! But like I said before, most will respond well if someone with any bit of leadership directs them.

marleynrs8

Post by marleynrs8 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:39 am

As far as gear goes, you obviously do need some.
1.) Reliable AEG. What real rifle do you like? Do your research and get the best one available with the money you have at hand. Look for something 300fps+. I really love KWA's. I personally rock the SR7, which actually has suprising accuracy for a 10in barrel. But I also have a CYMA AKM for games where I know I need the extra range and punch of its 400fps.
2) Stock up on .25 bbs. More accurate than .20s, and most brands that make .25s are good to go.
3) A High Cap mag that comes with the gun is fine for now, but you might want to look into mid caps. No winding, no noise, and overall feel more realistic and encourage fire and manuever.
4) Chest Rig/Plate Carrier/RRV/etc to carry your mags. I like to keep it simple. Mags in my chest rig, hydration pack on my back. You don't need much more.
5) Camo- get whatever is effective in your region. If you're in Australia, I assume Auscam or Multicam would work well.
6) Face Mask or Goggles- I like a face mask because getting shot in the teeth is no fun. But it can get hot.
7)Battery- get a good 9.6v battery. I like Num-Chuck style ones.
8) Sidearm- optional. I have a KJW 1911 for when my primary goes down(AEGs jam or misfeed occassionally, as well as strip gears if you're unlucky) and sometimes I prefer a pistol for CQB.

Anything else you get is up to you, but is not really neccessary. Hope this helps.

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:35 pm

OT-Warning: When talking about showing respect to military personell, I have met military personell that was highly disrespectful towards airsofters and the airsoft sport in general. They also stated that their 8 weeks of basic army training made them better shooters than any of the active shooters at my gunclub.

So I would say that the disrespect can go both ways ...

Back on topic. Isnt airsoft pretty much a role-playing game, or thats what I've been told?

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)
Last edited by Dramatikk on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marleynrs8

Post by marleynrs8 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:12 am

Yeah, disrespect almost always goes both ways. The important thing to understand, in the end, though, is that airsoft is a sport while real tactical work is not. I would not consider airsoft as a role-playing game. There is too much variation. Generally, a milsim airsoft game is one where one team has a set of objectives to meet, such as capturing a fort or protecting a VIP, and the other team has similar or differing objectives. There can be a point system to tally scores, such as X amount of points for taking and holding Fort X, or rescuing X number of hostages. Basically, the specifics are up to the game administrators.

Most players are never involved in this level of planning (especially on larger OP's, where 100+ players attend), but are expected to understand their team's objectives and conduct small unit tactical planning for these very specific objectives. There are groups that even emulate real platoon/squad structure, and use mags with the real number of BB's per round as the real steel guns. That's called realmil, but it's pretty uncommon and nobody in my area does it.

I started off just playing team deathmatch with my friends in backyards, but then moved on to large milsim games when I found my state had a large airsoft association and forum.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:09 am

Why Airsoft is the Force on Force Technology of Choice

Remember that the military or LE operator that disrespects others are usually egotistical and are mostly found in the ones who have just finished training and have recently been posted to a unit.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:49 am

Pfft training's role playing. :P It's good, get's your mind sharp for possibilities and sure makes you think!
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:33 pm

So, I'm seriously considering getting into airsoft as a way of keeping up CQB skills, going realmil with specific round counts and obligatory magazine changes. I've fooled around with a friend's AEG before but, I haven't actually done airsoft or paint ball in years. Some of those weapon prices are kinda scary. Anyone have any recommendations on brand for quality and price? I'm wanting to arm up with a decent AR and pistol. Realistic blowback would be a nice touch but, ultimately, isn't necessary. Thanks for your time.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:29 pm

Won an Ebay auction last night for a Sig 226 GBB. $74, shipping included.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Return to “Airsoft ”