Battledrills

Moderator: jimothy_183

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jimothy_183
Military
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Battledrills

Post by jimothy_183 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:51 pm

I would say that perhaps battledrills should be organised into "tiers" based on importance and likelihood of need. On top we have react to contact because as mentioned in the first link this is the "foundation" for all the other drills.

Here is how I think it should be:
  • Tier 1
  • [list]
  • React to contact
[*]Tier 2[/*]
  • Break contact
  • Hasty attack
[*]Tier 3[/*]
  • Hasty defense
  • Hasty ambush
  • React to ambush
  • React to indirect fire
[*]Tier 4[/*]
  • Everything else
[/list]
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Re: Battledrills

Post by Ryan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:06 am

I'm sure the priority scale changes with METT-TC. For example if you are attacking a fortified hill-side position then "knock out a bunker" drill would sensibly become the needed asset, fresh in the minds of your men. Logistical demands would change to be able to literally fund and supply these drills with the properly anti-tank weaponry (AT4s, Carl Gustav, so on) and grenades or other explosive ordnance for sections.

That's also how training regimes change. The Pathfinders literally can spend seven months out of the year and many more hours conducting mobile drills and vehicle skills than other skills such as FIBUA, HALO, LLP and HAHO because that's what is needed in Afghanistan, that is what was needed in Iraq post-invasion. Therefore a unit can have a collection of battledrills, and as it says literally "keep up" with only the number needed.

Now that said, how do you keep up to scratch overseas? Or is the lead-up training all what is expected with very limited in-theater training?
Does the battle plan need to include a custom training regime or some amount of mission lead-up training?
Does that mean that even with muscle memory you have a small number limited to the amount of battledrills you can be proficient in?

I strongly agree that battle drills and war fighting skills quickly perish if not worked on.

I agree that Tier 1 would be the foundation of all others, the meat and potatoes and the sheer survivability drills. Tier 2 would apply to what you may come across commonly and the skills or drills needed on the ground which would also include subcomponents such as man-down drills involving litter-aids and CCPs for an example. Tier 3 will be those secondary skills of importance to METT-TC. Tier 4 I believe would not only be the rest of the known drills for the Platoon upwards but the specialized TTP's for the special roles of the Platoon such as the possibility of having a JTAC/FAC, Sniper Team, EOD and so forth. Each element may have its own priority drills such as recce being break contact. Non-combat tiers come into importance such as daily habits: Weapon cleaning, hygiene, so on, otherwise you will not have a ready fighting force.

If METT-TC is saying, "Mission profiles in current operations involve many IEDs" then you improve your C-IED elements with 9 Line IED/UXO Reports, reaction to IED, identifying possible IED objects and marking them which covers the essential SOPs on communicating and taking actions on that threat. For example:

"Task: React to a Possible Improvised Explosive Device (IED)

Condition: During military operations you encounter a "Possible Improvised Explosive Device (IED)".

Standard: Properly establish initial exclusion area, security, and report "Possible Improvised Explosive Device (IED)" to Higher HQ with 100% accuracy."

And then it goes into performance steps, measures and evaluation to ensure quality and reliability, the category being "Common Tasks".

The conditions for which, the start (entry) and exit of procedure.

Such as:
- Task
- Conditions
- Standards
- Task Steps
- Setup Instructions
- Crawl/Talk-through instructions
- Walk-through instructions
- Run-through instructions
- Performance measures
- Evaluation standards/guidance

In CQC you want less "weight" around your thoughts, you just want them to be done quickly, as smoothly as possible and as tactically efficient as possible. That means to ignore half of what you are taught, i.e. if you're not going to do a wall-flood, keep it out of your mind, and focus on what you need to do even in time critical situations. If you're thinking "When this happens, I'll do this" fine, but make it a condensed thought and free up your mind for reactionary methods of movement in and out of rooms.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Outdoor tactics discussions ”