Light Infantry Tactics For Small Teams - Opinions?

Moderator: jimothy_183

jimothy_183
Military

Light Infantry Tactics For Small Teams - Opinions?

Post by jimothy_183 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Hey I've just wanted to ask for opinions on the reliability and accuracy of the information in this book here.

I have already read some of it and found that the information is easier to absorb as it has been "civilianized" as a blogger has said here.

I've also been reading up on reviews of the book to try and find out about the realiability and information of the book. I found a majority of positive reviews on the US amazon site and also read the most helpful positive and negative reviews. Both have critisisms of the book that is mainly centred around it being too basic and not offering anything new to them as military veterans. This is not something that I am worried about.

I am more worried about the information being "wrong" etc.

While I have found reviewers who claim that the information is "wrong" or "bad" is that I somehow find it hard to believe some of the stuff they are saying, mostly because they do not back up their claims. They also seem to collectively pick on the hand signals being wrong in the book. For example one of the reviewers here says "Half the hand signals in the book are wrong, another quarter would never be used in the military" yet he does not provide an example of a wrong hand signal and explain why it is wrong or what is supposedly "correct".

Another batch of critical reviews can be found on the UK amazon site here and another on a blog site here.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Dramatikk

Re: Light Infantry Tactics For Small Teams - Opinions?

Post by Dramatikk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:10 pm

For those who want to have a quick peek at the book:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/18631135/Ligh ... mall-Teams

Enjoy!

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

EDIT: Jimothy, I have also been reading this book myself, and I found it to be a very nice read. This book was for me easy to read and easy to understand. :wink:

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun May 01, 2011 2:39 am

Yeah some of the stuff is outdated. You'd expect that.

And some wouldn't be used - you'd also expect that.

Though hand signals don't change that much. :lol:

Reviews could be true, but it's still a good read.

CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Turns out that the author os this book also wrote the SUT SMARTbook and after a quick comparison of the book I have and the samples on the site its quite clear that the info is just about the same albeit more up to date in the SMARTbook of course. I would say that no less than 80% of the "Light Infantry Tactics" book is still up to date which is actually quite good considering that it was intended to be used by civvies.

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Fri May 06, 2011 1:10 pm

jimothy_183 wrote:Turns out that the author os this book also wrote the SUT SMARTbook and after a quick comparison of the book I have and the samples on the site its quite clear that the info is just about the same albeit more up to date in the SMARTbook of course. I would say that no less than 80% of the "Light Infantry Tactics" book is still up to date which is actually quite good considering that it was intended to be used by civvies.
Nice find, Jimothy. :)

I have been reading a couple of books from these series, and they are well written. The auther keeps the books short and straight forward, no "japp" or attemts to glorify himself and making himself a big deal in the books. (Some authers are high on themselfs. :lol: )

Overall, good books for civilians and for those who want to freshen up on their long lost army skills. :wink:

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:20 am

I liked the book and learned form it. Don't worry about something being "outdated." There really is not such thing when you are developing your own tactics. Just read as much as you can. Eventually(I suspect you have it already) you develop a BS detector. If something is to complicated or impractical you will dismiss it. But if it us useful you will retain it, if it fits with what you are doing.

Learn from as many sources as you can, then try to make what you do KISS simple, and stream line everything.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:30 am

Good point.

I already have amassed a whole heap of reading material on this sort of stuff that you could probably call it a tactical library or something.

I've been refering to some of the other manuals such as the ranger hanbook, the FM 3-21.8 infantry rifle platoon, the canadian forces manual of patrolling in order to compare and contrast between the information presented in both books.

Return to “Outdoor tactics discussions ”