Cold Weather OPS

Moderator: jimothy_183

Jack
Law Enforcment

Cold Weather OPS

Post by Jack » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:11 am

Don't neglect preparing for cold weather operations, if your unit conducts operations in an area where this is an issue.

Playing a game like paint ball or Airsoft can always be canceled due to the weather, but real operations take place at 0dark30, somewhere, every day of the year.

Believe me when you leave your warm bed and run out into the night and find that it is bitterly cold, you had better be prepared to deal with the elements for a long period of time.

Mother nature can certainly take it's tool on even the best trained and motivated team. Knowledge is power.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tac ... -survival/

geryban

Post by geryban » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:55 pm

Good topic! Its important. Its important for CQB/MOUT situations 2... If the cold weather military survival not this forums field of interest, but have some special problems: you have to use different weapon handling because your clothes (vest. coat. holster. and the others). You have to use different techniques for approaching buildings. You have to use spcial equipements. You cant use some equipements because the weather (for example: smoke not realy effective if you drop it to the snow). Be carefull with rappeling (!!! I wrote it: in a spec. ecws trausers, be carefull with your harness! save your rope! have to use special gloves! Have to shoot with this gloves!) We allways organizing military survival courses in winter, with my friend. He is former pararecon and SERE instructor. Valuable knowledge....
Last edited by geryban on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WORK HARD, PLAY HARD!

RonD

Cold

Post by RonD » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:19 am

Cold weather ops requires proper clothing that allows access to your weapons, comm, etc...Also ensuring your weapon is lubed up with the correct lube. You have to be mentally prepared because you're gonna get cold :!: :!: I wear glasses at times, so I have to be aware of fogging when coming from warm to cold...And to close, I carry some extra essential clothes in the event I get wet.....

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:25 am

It is that time of year again.

RonD

Post by RonD » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:32 pm

Jack wrote:It is that time of year again.
:cry: Indeed, I had to buy a new pullover cap to keep the head/ears warm for the upcoming winter..... :cry:

Jack
Law Enforcment

Re: Cold Weather OPS

Post by Jack » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:12 pm

I saw the worst cold casualty I have ever seen the other day. He was suffering from hypothermia and frost bite. He could hardly talk and was very confused. His fingers were also white as the snow. Another twenty minutes and this guy would have been dead for sure. Scary stuff.

Ryan

Re: Cold

Post by Ryan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:37 am

RonD wrote:Cold weather ops requires proper clothing that allows access to your weapons, comm, etc...Also ensuring your weapon is lubed up with the correct lube. You have to be mentally prepared because you're gonna get cold :!: :!: I wear glasses at times, so I have to be aware of fogging when coming from warm to cold...And to close, I carry some extra essential clothes in the event I get wet.....
Same with ski's make sure you have the correct ski wax - it is used for the base of ski grips for new snow and icy conditions. Glide is normally used for slushy or normal conditions. Snow shoes are great for deep snow.

You also have to be aware of avalanches, signs are booming - the sound made by tonnes of snow collapsing, you have to also be aware of unstable layers of crystalised snow - this normally forms early in the season.

The environment is an important one to pay attention too, it can change in an instant. High, cold winds (wind chill factor) are the biggest nightmares, it's good to create high walls or get into vegetation to protect yourself from it. Snow caves are probably the best to go for if you have a bit of time, energy or with a group of people - just make sure you have a cold trench, that is a trench around the bottom where the cold air will sink into to (as colder air is heavier) - also make sure you have some kind of venetilation, especially incase it caves in, you can just stick your ski pole through the roof and create a hole.

Remember that propellant burns slower in cold temperatures therefore there is a reduce in effective ranges, you have to aim higher because muzzle velocity is slower. There are lots of little tricks like using skies crossed over for make-shift bi-pods.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu May 12, 2011 10:58 am

Remember also that the warmest part of the day is usually the worst for avalanches and acclimatising is very important, the higher you go the lighter the air is and there is less oxygen. It can cause many problems including heart attacks due to a high heart rate and your body creating more red blood cells and it becomes thicker therefore slower and stickier and there is more chance of it clotting. Also altitude sickness is quite common.

Acclimatise to your environment slowly and prepare for it. You have to have a high level of fitness and understanding to operate in this environment.

Hypothermia and frostbite mentioned earlier by Jack - it's very important to keep warm weather clothing and spares. Sleeping clothes that are not wet from sweating. Do not wear too many layers as you will sweat too much and the sweat will cool and lower your temperature.

"The pressure on our bodies is about the same as ten metres of sea water pressing down on us all the time. At sea level, because air is compressible, the weight of all that air above us compresses the air around us, making it denser. As you go up a mountain, the air becomes less compressed and is therefore thinner.

The important effect of this decrease in pressure is this: in a given volume of air, there are fewer molecules present. This is really just another way of saying that the pressure is lower (this is called Boyle's law). The percentage of those molecules that are oxygen is exactly the same: 21%. The problem is that there are fewer molecules of everything present, including oxygen." - http://www.altitude.org/why_less_oxygen.php

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed May 30, 2012 9:07 am

Ski's and snowmobiles, TTP's? Any good drills with these?

3:16

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:57 pm

COLD.

C – Keep clothing CLEAN

O – Avoid OVER HEATING

L – Wear clothes LOOSE and in LAYERS.

D – Keep clothing DRY.

Alfa47

Post by Alfa47 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:54 pm

This NEEDS a bump. PLEASE clarify ski combat.

Return to “Outdoor tactics discussions ”