Grenade Question

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

Grenade Question

Post by Ryan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:57 pm

If you hold a grenade out and pull the pin and drop it from a stairwell, say the 50th floor, what floor will it explode at?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Re: Grenade Question

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:36 am

Depends on the grenade fuse. I'm guessing, depending on the fuse, if you opened your hand and released it or hurled it... Anywhere from 45th to the 40th floor.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:36 am

Depending on the stairwell type(full floor turn/half floor turn) and the amount of steps (7 to 12 mainly) and the type of grnade it will bounce once and roll further(not neccesarily) down until the fuse is burnt up. Some grenades have a detonation on impact. If you drop it straight down it will gain speed fast.

When you release the spoon right when you drop the object without propelling it its d=\frac{gt^2}{2}]

4 second fuse: 78m
7 second fuse: 240m

so from the 50th floor(about 135m) it will blow up in mid-air around halfway with a 4 second fuse.

To combust right at the bottom t=sqrt {2d/g} equates to 5,25 seconds

This is high school type math, and based on earths atmosfere. The terminal velocity would be just below an artillary shell.

I would hower strongly discourage this use of strong explosives, because a human has a normal reaction time of 0.2s, and before your hand is opened at least 0.6s have occured. for most people mind to muscle time is over a second. which is more then the difference between combustion halfway and the bottom.

If math isn't your strong point consider about 10m/s squared(if my math teacher had it right).

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:17 am

Math isn't my strong point (unless it's med calcs), thanks for that Breacher.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Sometimes i think i'm the only one who actually remembers whats tought at high school. although calculating in my mind is a skill i've lost since every thing with batteries has a calculator on it in this era.

Return to “CQB General Discussions ”