Defensive principles/models/tactics

Moderator: jimothy_183

blackteacz

Defensive principles/models/tactics

Post by blackteacz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Hi,

My airsoft team will be providing OPFOR for another team training their CQB skills. We will be defending a string of building, they will be attacking, breaching and clearing. Once they clear a building/set of buildings they have won and we move over to the next position.

I was searching online for principles or even tactics of good CQB defense, but could only find entry/clearing/offensive ones. I have of course went over MOUT manuals, however I could not get any tactical specifics, i.e.:

- what is the best way to defend a staircase
- best way to defend a hallway
- best way to defend doorway
- how to plan defense of a whole building

What I know so far, that is practical for airsoft/civilian team:
- If there are multiple buildings, do not bunch up in just one. Use more of them and with converging fields of fire
- Separate the unit into small teams (we operate down to fireteams of four) and give them specific sectors to defend
- Try to cover all approaches and never leave a blind spot
- Have a plan of withdrawal, with clear signals
- Block whatever approaches you cannot cover

That's about it :( As I said, I am completely lost when it comes to specifics: how to create effective fields of fire inside, how to position inside rooms etc.

I would greatly appreciate any form of help. I.e. linking to any resources/videos would be magnificent.

Thanks!

tacticalguy

Re: Defensive principles/models/tactics

Post by tacticalguy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:53 am

I thought about this request for quite some time. First, kudos to you on being part of a no nonsense airsoft team. Sounds like you're doing milsim and trying to excel. I commend you and your team members for that drive. I'm really happy that this site has gained the reputation for being the ultimate Open-source site for CQB training. As one of the more recent mods, I'm quite proud of that fact, actually. That being said, I'm uncomfortable with posting information about how to harden a structure/room for a tactical team to have to enter and clear. This IS Open-source. I know that we post a lot of tips and techniques on how to better do the job of a tactical/SWAT team member in here. Even there though, we all recognize there are limits to what can be shared in here. TBH, there is no vetting process for membership in the Forums. Only the Restricted Area requires that. I would feel comfortable posting it in there because the Admins can check and verify the CV's of potential members of that section. I'm sorry that I feel unable to be more forthcoming in this area.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

blackteacz

Post by blackteacz » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:51 am

tacticalguy wrote:I thought about this request for quite some time. First, kudos to you on being part of a no nonsense airsoft team. Sounds like you're doing milsim and trying to excel. I commend you and your team members for that drive. I'm really happy that this site has gained the reputation for being the ultimate Open-source site for CQB training. As one of the more recent mods, I'm quite proud of that fact, actually. That being said, I'm uncomfortable with posting information about how to harden a structure/room for a tactical team to have to enter and clear. This IS Open-source. I know that we post a lot of tips and techniques on how to better do the job of a tactical/SWAT team member in here. Even there though, we all recognize there are limits to what can be shared in here. TBH, there is no vetting process for membership in the Forums. Only the Restricted Area requires that. I would feel comfortable posting it in there because the Admins can check and verify the CV's of potential members of that section. I'm sorry that I feel unable to be more forthcoming in this area.
Hi tacticalguy and thanks for the welcome (also Ryan) in the other part of the forum. I fully appreciate your concern and thanks for going into length to explain it.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:51 am

PKM barricaded-in-place aiming at the door. It's all over. :lol:
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

bria

Post by bria » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi,

As I don't have any opsec, nor any experience, I'm at a little more liberty to speak, perhaps :)
(And I can say some dumb things too).

Ryan show an excellent example.
Why the defensive team is stronger than the attack team ? Because they could be well positioned, and don't need to move.

You can concentrate your power where the will be choke point. You can also trap or restrain movement of the attack team (barricade, furniture forcing the team to move on one column; ...)

For example to protect a stairway -> higher is often better. Trap the stairway. If they force through , they will get casualities. Else, they will be target as they must check if it's trapped or not.
(IRL, they are mitigation technics, like rappelling and so on. But as we are on airsoft , we could use the constraint to our advantages ;) )

Ps : bad guys already do these sort of things, so I don't think that I show a risk to LE. If mods do think otherwise, they can drop my post.

PPs : If "camping" isn't your way of doing thing, perhaps guerilla based strategy could show some interest. I think It's a little less realist (more at risk), but it could bring some fun too. Some hit and run, to lead the attack team where they would be vulnerable. If they follow you, another hiding team will take them out. Else you will be free of your movement and could try to take them from behind.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:54 pm

So, after some discussion with one of the admins, I've decided to answer your request in this way. Of course, other members or admins may choose to answer differently but, that is their prerogative. In your PM to me, you outlined various methods of dealing with holding a defensive position. You're on the right track. What I would suggest is that you peruse the various methods that we discuss to make safe entry and clear. Now, work backwards and "reverse engineer" the situation. I'll also be posting this response in reply to your request in the Forums. I understand what you're shooting for but, in light of recent events here in the U.S. and around the world, I'm not comfortable with possibly laying out blueprints for domestic or international terrorists to successfully injure or kill police/special operations units attempting to do their jobs.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:35 am

^^^^

This. As I have said before I believe in the open-forum discussing tactics and techniques but in light of recent attacks, terrorists have now established that bombing is not as effective as the Mumbai model of short-duration, multiple attacks by guns and homemade explosives forcing us into a position of having to take multiple shooter locations, some of which will be hastily established and defended by terrorists. I will gladly talk in PM with you but in all, all, I am happy for offensive tactics to be discussed so we can focus on destroying terrorist scum. You are right in what you say bria, and there are many ways to disturb an entry. I can say that no matter the casualties sustained, counter-terrorism teams will continue to go against the enemy, even at personal loss, and will continue to put the fight in their face, always. A well-positioned, well-barricaded enemy is near-always a hard target to defeat. This has been shown throughout history in many ways - think of machinegun nests, mine layers, etc. You are hitting the principles needed to defend a room effectively, at least against conventional through-door assault.

Bria keep your post. I am definitely not against you asking the questions, I am just on edge about answering currently. In reality, terrorists probably already know all of this and have thought it through. I mean some of AQ were ex-SF (Egyptian SF for example) who were trained by Western SF - including Delta. They know their shit. So it might be a fallacy, we're 100% welcome to your questions and you seem to already know it. :D That said, it is in the fixed-state of airsoft. No explosives allowed. So the options become limited. Let me exemplify my thoughts on that fixed-state:
1. Limit routes of advance,
2. Prepare a weapon on potential avenues of approach,
3. Prepare to engage almost instantaneously and adjust for delay in entry,
4. Prepare secondary measures for follow-up such as grenades and further entry,
5. Even if the above is prepared. The entry team may use a multitude of TTPs to still blow your skull apart. Counter-terrorism teams ARE prepared for the above even if they face initial fatalities.

There are many resources on defenses in urban terrain. Including Fallujah and Israeli-Palestine conflict lessons learnt. Oil spills on the ground so people slipped. Anchor points from stairs taken apart of they fell. Explosive boobytraps looking like household objects. Offensive measures to counter this like turtling, lower-story demolition, stand-off attacks. The problems are when you barricade a house is that you're now the trapped mouse. Hence why no matter the defense, terrorist forces will all eventually die in place. Even if we have to wait them out. So defensive forces are not stronger than the attacking team, they may just have an initial advantage in some scenarios. The first volley of shots to get off, for example. Choke points can be opened up. A room is yours to expand when you have explosives or a sledgie. Stairs do not have to be negotiated when you have elevation systems and ladders. We think of one thing and find a way to defeat it. Tacticians will always find a way.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Return to “CQB General Discussions ”