A few insights on CQB, and combat in general

Moderator: jimothy_183

DTas

A few insights on CQB, and combat in general

Post by DTas » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Hello guys, I thought about providing a more general view about combat.
First, we have to understand that we (when I say we, I meam all of us military/LE/shooting community guys and enthusiasts in general) have a fascination with entry types.
All of us have probably already questioned ourselves about what is the best entry type, is this the immediate entry, or the limited, maybe the israeli method?
This is, and will stay, the holy grail of CQB.

Truth be told, in every type of combat environment, the attacker is in a disadvantage, he doesn't have any cover, Ora stable platform to shoot from, he exposes himself in order to advance, he's fucked up. The attacker will never win a 1 VS 1 gunfight against a prepared defender.
Same goes for CQB, but because of the enclosed environment, it becomes even nastier.

So, how do we win, well, I'm here to tell you that, but let's start by speaking the same language.
I'll explain some terms as they are perceived in my philosophy, just stay with me.

1. Drill - a set of actions which is trained and rehearsed again and again until it becomes automatic.
The drill is first in the chain, and is done without thinking.
For example - all the entry types specified above are drills.

2. Technique - a set of drills which may be combined in a few ways due to a decision made by the leader.
The technique involves thinking which can create an advantage in some scenarios.
For example, covering a hallway from the left side while clearing the right side, allowing the clearing force extra security.

3. Tactic - the use of specific set of principles in order to give myself an advantage.
The most known are surprise, speed, violence of action, but there are other principles as well.
After storming the first room using our three principles we have to storm another one. Is surprise still a factor? Will speed solve this problem? Nope. We'll have to find some more principles.
1. Use your toolbox, the k9, the grenade, the tear gas, don't go 1 vs 1, smoke him out!
2. Understand when to attack and when not to, where do you have the advantage and where you don't.
For example, there's no point of waiting after sending a k9 at a prepared defender, he'll just shoot the dog, attack right with it, while the bad guys muzzle is down.
these are a few things I stumbled across, I'm sure you can add some based on your experiences.

The conclusion is, running through doors with guns won't always work, winning the fight and living for another day is much more likely after using some common sense.
Don't get fixated by the entry type, use your brain, neutralize the bad guys, stay safe.

Hope you had a nice reading, comments, arguments and criticism (as long as it's constructive) are welcomed

tacticalguy

Re: A few insights on CQB, and combat in general

Post by tacticalguy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:44 am

Well-thought out post.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Re: A few insights on CQB, and combat in general

Post by Ryan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:04 am

Agree with TG. Well thought-out.

I'm glad we have someone here offering some standard. Good operational definitions.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Return to “CQB General Discussions ”