Basic Questions: CQB

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

Re: Basic Questions: CQB

Post by Ryan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:20 am

I agree. I mean the rate of learning around the industry is huge, and just as fast as it grows... out pops these misconceptions and incredibly fake-come-useless and potentially hurtful (to the industry, not to MENTION individuals) business-like ventures. It's not the middle man in the suit, with the shiny smile in this business; it's the guy with the tattoos, attitude and MA background. Infact it shouldn't be classed as a business per say. Tactical companies are there to give service, to promote to members of our Military and our Law Enforcement as well as Civilians how to save lives, prevent further loss and protect themselves, this is no BUSINESS matter. You may equate the transfer of money into this solution but by far the main reason for such a proposition is more than selfish monetary reasoning, and as far as I know from the CEO's I've came across; they all productively do this for OTHERS. It's hard to explain that, and it's easy for someone to say "Erm, nope, here's a dictionary to look up Business" but I do not agree with them either way. It's my point of view. Forget these bloody Idol companies but it's hard to find the perfect green apple in amongst the green apples with a worm in it but when you do... when you find those instructors, those courses... you just know they're the ones pushing this industry.

They say every 2 years we are DOUBLING the amount of knowledge in this world, as compared with 100 years ago where that event only happened every 50 years. Now, we all know there is room for growth in tactics, in the Military and Law Enforcement - and we can understand, even externally, that it is a SLOWER rate of turn-over but we should be open to positive promotions and, in order to keep the balance - closed to negative promotions.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:35 am

Doesn't this come back to the issue of belt and certificate factories (a name for BS schools that teach BS and only care about getting money off of it's customers)?

I don't know about the rate at which tactics have changed/evolved/developed in the 21st century to say the pre BC era. I think the real difference is the introduction of the internet which has allowed for the amount of information being transferred to increase exponentially, a "knowledge explosion" if you will. Martial schools have always existed throughout recorded history so there is no change there. And don't forget that while there have been innovations in tactics history tells us that it is quite normal for archaic tactics to come back into use. And also what was once unconventional eventually becomes conventional and something else becomes unconventional.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:32 am

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/sho ... hp?t=16270

A good discussion started by Max Velocity.

http://www.cqcsa.co.za/history-cqc/

Interesting dig on the history here.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:58 pm

This guy defines CQC as the individual or fireteam element actions while CQB as the squad and platoon sized element actions in a close environment. This is the first time I have heard it this way. Battle versus Combat, what's the difference?! Meh.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:58 am

People making shit up and over complicating things again. Irritating to say the least.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:03 am

Ryan wrote:

This guy defines CQC as the individual or fireteam element actions while CQB as the squad and platoon sized element actions in a close environment. This is the first time I have heard it this way. Battle versus Combat, what's the difference?! Meh.
He's just as confused as he's attempting to make us. I know that I've stated before that the terms CQC and CQB have been pretty much interchangeable for a couple of decades. That's true but, quite some time back I fell in line with the U.S. Army and Marines in their point of view that CQC is referring to hand to hand, close combat, either armed or unarmed, at 2 feet or less distance. CQB is the umbrella that CQC is sheltered under, IMHO.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:09 am

Here's a friend of mine's definition, he's infantry:
Close Quarter Battle is fighting within close terrain, whereby the nature of the terrain, be it close cover caused by foliage, tunnels, woodlands, built-up urban environments or building interiors, leads to short range contacts characterised by low reaction times and short-duration extremely violent contact.

CQB vs CQM. There is a difference. I often see videos on Youtube called "CQB" but are linear ranges with no entry-breach procedures, etc. Close Quarter Marksmanship (CQM) is range drills, shooting targets and skills needed for this, compared with CQB which is moving into and around buildings, within close proximity to targets.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:25 am

More interpretations that are meh...I still prefer mine that I posted first. :lol:

CQM, interesting idea that hold water as far as I know.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:19 am

http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/threads/c ... ing.14927/

"In summary: my point is that I don't believe CQB is simply purely an urban or even building related activity. It includes those operations, but is not exclusive to them. In the "chat" that I see going around, and due to peoples experience on contemporary operations, I think CQB is becoming synonymous with urban in many peoples minds. I have done CQB in the jungle, and even with "jungle lanes" on live firng ranges back home. Usually called close quarter battle and sometimes involving training individual and pairs fire and movement down a jungle lane."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:37 am

Quarter or Quarters?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:07 pm

"Within pistol range" is another one I heard. I'm iffy on this one. Don't like it. It doesn't appreciate the environment, the violence, the short-duration. "Less than 25 meters in a confined space"...

Return to “CQB General Discussions ”