Unlikely and Hard to Defeat Threat Areas

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

Unlikely and Hard to Defeat Threat Areas

Post by Ryan » Fri May 25, 2012 2:23 am

"Unlikely and Hard to Defeat Threat Areas" otherwise known as strong rooms.

In certain circumstances in training you come across very unlikely or hard to defeat threat areas. This topic is for all those areas you come across and a discussion on sub-specialty tactics to counter these specifics. I believe this topic can be expanded upon and a mixture of ideas would be great for tactical development... Please use it to give us personal experience and possible scenarios we can think about and discuss.

It can be used for those rare occasions so ignore me if it gets quite unconventional or hard to believe.

For example,
- Some instructors cut a hole out of the top of a door (above or within the plinth) and represent a bad guy. This could be for a rare event of coming across a bad guy within a ventilation system (also seen in games such as America's Army which is a force-on-force game; if it happens here, why not in reality). What do you think of this and do you have any methods to clear it?

- Alcoves.

- Vestibule.

- Certain structures, i.e. hospitals and hotels with long, narrow, linear hallways and opposing doorways, elevators and staircases. Ancient structures such as castles, ruins and iconic points of interest such as the Pyramids (legit terrorist hit).

- Behind the door. Firstly to find an enemy squeezing behind a door is unlikely, you can literally squash it and understand where the threat is. The downside is that the door is penetrable which is a plus or minus depending on whether you or the bad guy uses it against each other. It is semi-hard to clear because you have [or most probably will] to firstly clear the initial room then link-up with an operator to sweep it - this means your back is to the room and uncleared areas such as barricades. What do you think?

- Observation points such as guard towers and sangins.

- Irregular rooms, garages, basements. Triangle rooms like those found in shrines and temples.

- Mazes.

- Barbed wire, stakes, rabbit tunnels (mouse holes).

- Claymores and other AP mines.

- Military positions such as hangars, PB's.

- Trenches, bunkers and other hard or in-cover structures.

- Machinegun nests.

- Underneath the floor, specifically floor boards. If you were engaged from this area, how would you react and do you have any plans of reaction now you think about it? I'd like to know those differences too-Shoot or No Shoot, how to get to the suspect?

- Above you on another level. Same as above but now you have to get to that level, what is the best path for this and what do you think to incline shooting in this setting?

- Behind a pillar, how to clear pillars? You can get square and rounded ones.

- Odd-shaped rooms (OSR?!) such as an internal Shrine or Mosque-center, they can be totally rounded, a complete circle with no corners.

- On a balcony. How do you clear a balcony and how can prevent exterior exposure? Including clearing upper level windows, etc, from the ground floor, how do we do this?

- Spiral and other types of stair-cases as mentioned in another topic. They are pure Linear Danger Areas (LDA's), Fatal Funnels (FF's).

- From outside. During clearance you are attacked from outside - through a window or door. How do you react? Do you go out the back door and all the way around? Do you go at the front and head-on into the attacker? What preventative measures can you take?

- Within any kind of auditory, unknown or barricade. What are some good methods to clearing small areas or barricades? I.e. simply engaging through the barricade - How do we move these obstacles? What method of shooting would you use? For example some people like to use the Z-Pattern of shooting (mainly used by LAV Gunners believe it or not).

- Secret areas. What if you find a secret room, how does your philosophy adapt and deal with it?

- A siege. How do you counter a siege? Especially if the area is not entirely constricted - suburbs become a playground, multiple houses or simply one house that is heavily barricaded.

- Abandoned buildings, under-construction buildings. They have a lot of 'new' situations to come across such as lose gravel, a deserted environment, pillar columns, tough concrete blocks - even missing walls or half of the building or room missing.

- Windows with tinted glass.

- Others I may have added, which have already been discussed are: Tunnels, caves, holes/ditches, breaking contact.

- Some of these mentioned are common architectural obstacles we have to negotiate.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Re: Unlikely and Hard to Defeat Threat Areas

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:01 pm

A lot of interesting problems. I've thought about these from time to time but never found a real solution to some of the more harder ones. There are others however that can be solved with "reading the room" as talked about here.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:45 am

I have to add elevators and elevator shafts to this, how could I forget?

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:11 am

How do you describe irregular rooms and follow-on corners (not the traditional hardcorners found on the wall of the entrypoint)?

seal236

Post by seal236 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:21 am

Short Answer is: False Wall technique. A stint from strong wall. Another reason why opposing corners and the L is outdated....

Long answer: Continuity in training. All of your training should carry over. The environment of land warfare carries over to the house and in CQB. This is what a lot of police units miss out on as a strictly urban team. (in most cases).

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:39 am

Can you explain False Wall?

seal236

Post by seal236 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:12 am

Continue an imaginary wall from your working wall - (creating a false wall)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:49 am

I've heard this as just being "on-line" if I'm thinking of the same thing. As you said in PM, "Traveling in a direction perpendicular to a dead space creating a false wall that you clear from."

Terminology strikes again and confuses me!

Return to “CQB General Discussions ”