Strong side vs Weak side of a door/entry point

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

Strong side vs Weak side of a door/entry point

Post by Ryan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:03 am

This may be a simple mistake in terminology but I thought I'd ask this question here.
Does anyone know what the strong or weak side of a door is, or have a definition?

The opposite to the doorknob side is apparently the strong side of a door, when opened it should expose the full half of the room instead of only exposing part of the room due to the unfully opened door being in the way, from that side - the weak side - when the door is opened it blocks part of the view until the door pane has been pushed out of the way (therefore kind of pie'ing the room using the door).

The side away from door handle normally swings and allows you to see into the door before the weaker side of the door, which due to the door still being in the way while opening gives lull time between it opening and inhibiting your view, which allows for the enemy to realize entry, and engage the door or see you before you see them or whatever other actions they may take. What this also allows is the flashbang man to have an inhibited throw into the room through the strong side, or to use the weak side to his advantage and deflect it off the door and into the room.

In relation to adding to terminology like, "Stack on the strong side" - as in you move to the preferred side away from the doorknob which allows an entry team to be prepared pre-entry and allow their best advantage to observe into the room before and during the initial entry. To stack on doorknob, weak side is easier for the door opener or a breacher--this allows the team to stay on the strong side ready to observe into the room.

Here is a picture example:
From the left you would see the door itself, and as the door was being opened (IF at all the door was able to be fully opened) it would slowly expose the room until the pane was out of your view, exposing that full side of the room. From the right you would instantly see into the room. Now on saying this, it WILL change for the type of door such as normal, sliding or bi-folding, outward swinging doors vs inward swinging doors and depending on where the door is placed.

For a team, you could at least differentiate which side of the door you want to stack on. I.e. 'Single stack, strong side'.
This suggests you may adjust your position for strong side weak side and it also explains how doors work to your advantage/disadvantage in CQB.

And then if you suspected someone in a certain hardcorner or specific side of the room you'd be prepared, you are able to understand your advantages or disadvantages during an entry specifically through a door--but also in reference to gates and similar obstacles, and this allows an advantage to see into it or use the entry point to that advantage to get your best chances against them. Doors are just an opening into the room, but they may or may not inhibit you depending on where you stand... you see it a lot with outward swinging and inhibiting view, or only allowing a view into the room from a certain angle.

If you think about it; the door opens, you're easy target, you're in the fatal funnel, you do not want to waste time and you want to open the door to the room and not kind of pie it with the door until it's fully open OR you want to understand the advantages and disadvantages to exactly what you are doing so you may be able to counter-balance that.

Ruger Tactical Tips - Safe Room and Clearing Your House

7:30 My reference!

"Fortunately for me I'm on the strong side of the door, the door handle is over there"
That's his exact words, so the opposite side from the doorknob equals the strong side.
Some may call this the "safe" side of the door, and being away from the unsafe area's such as directly infront/behind the door. By isolating that area you can engage through the door or flood it.

You can call different names for types of doors too:-
Strong - reinforced.
Weak - normal, normally wooden front with glass.
Double - two doors. A bigger fatal funnel in my opinion means less risk on entry.
Single - single door.
Inward - an inward swinging door.
Outward - an outward swinging door.

Some people also call it the tactical vs non-tactical side of the door. As seen below.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

badger

Re: Strong side vs Weak side of a door/entry point

Post by badger » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 am

Our terminology is:
Door opens inside : knob side and hinges side. Team is from the hinges side.
Door opens outside : knob side and hinges side. Team is from side.
Door on your pic opens inside.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:24 am

Badger just reminded me of the terminology that I prefer to use.

Knob/handle side vs Hinged side

Also:

Push vs pull door
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:32 am

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Okay, this is what I was taught. When you approach a hallway or doorway, whichever side allows you the most protection and gives you the best vantage point into the room or down the hall, without the terrs/BGs being able to see you, is the strong side.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:56 am

You've split the door. Handle is on the left side. Is it more applicable for the person to the left to open rather than the right to reach over (in front of what is a fatal funnel) and open it?

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:37 am

Whichever team member has the door handle/knob on their side would be the one that I would recommend open the door, normally. Minor caveat: Low opening if the walls are weak/thin. If you have the resources, have the SWAT robot arm open the door knob for you.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Return to “CQB General Discussions ”