Why roll?!

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

Why roll?!

Post by Ryan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:01 am

I saw a few videos...

Mainly Russian, Pakistani counter-terrorism unit videos.

Why would you roll?
I have seen them roll INTO the room, roll while HALF WAY INTO the room and EVEN ROLL BEFORE engaging a target infront of them.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why roll?!

Post by Admin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Roll?
http://CQB-Team.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/CQBteam
Tactical education and motivation.training info for the soldier that wish to learn the art of CQB.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:49 pm

Roll. Flip. And otherwise do some insane stunts haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEDPmzhOy0s

There's other videos, especially with countries like India, Pakistan, Russia (some Spetsnaz) -- there armed forces doing similar things.

"Combat roll: A maneuver taught to some armed forces, Used in close combat. Much like a summer sault, using your shoulder as the point of impact on the ground and using forward momentum to cause a person to roll forward landing back on his or her feet." But I have seen it used in an offensive mindset not defensive like that quotation.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:23 am

semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:36 pm

There is no good reason to roll. However breakfalls could be very useful. You may want to get flat very quickly. Knowing how to do martial arts front falls, backfalls, and side falls are great. You may need to get small behind a vehicle very quickly. Mag pull practices this stuff a lot from what I can tell. Or you may need to quickly get concealment by dropping down into the tall grass, then roll or crawl away from the spot you went down. If they can't see you, people will often assume you were hit and went down.

Don't get me wrong, I don't understand why you would do forward rolls and come right back to your feet.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:25 am

Actually Jack, my martial arts teacher has always taught that a forward (or back) roll is to be used for when you trip over or you get pushed over.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:17 pm

The real purpose of breakfalls is for when you get thrown on the ground by an opponent. It allows you to land with minimal damage. If you take a grappling class like judo, you have to be able to do breakfalls from day one, just to make it through the class without getting hurt. Doing breakfalls for situations where you are pushed or fall on your own is an added plus.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:15 am

Roll? I understand the breakfalls as Jack said. Rolling is just... Hollywood. I don't advocate it, even as a long time martial arts instructor. In the dojo, on the mat? Sure. Not in a real life CQB situation.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat May 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. Spider drops and break-falls are great.

One example I found, though a media show-pony demo:

4:49.

Note: Female and male mixed operators.

Return to “CQB General Discussions ”