Controlling Shock/Fear Factors

Moderator: jimothy_183

Ryan

Re: Controlling Shock/Fear Factors

Post by Ryan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:12 am

Interesting documentary on psychopaths and how emotion reflects on actions. Though it is on the topic of psychopathy it is very much related to some statements in this forum topic. Behavioural genomics.

"Dear is an instinctiof self-preservation; if there was no fear, no fearless people then we must be thankful there are many mental hospitals. Fear must exist in logical amounts and it must be controllable. One must simply overcome it."

Train your brain.

Transcending ability.

How?

The four steps:

Goal setting - assists frontal lobes in reasoning and planning, concentrating and bringing structure to chaos.

Mental rehearsal (visualization) - running an activity in your mind so when you try for real it comes more naturally, practice in your mind first - preparation and readiness for an event like the second time you've faced it.

Self-talk - preparing and psyching yourself up, helps focus thoughts.

Arousal control - breathing and combating effects of panic and fear, more oxygen to the brain so you can focus and do better.
On its own arousal control will not work, but all four will increase your abilities and push boundaries.

CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:13 pm

I just finished watching Bravo Two Zero and I found it interesting how almost the opposite mentality to what fear should produce was produced by Andy McNab and his team in the scene where they are over-run by a BTR (I believe) and a section plus of infantry. Andy (Sean Bean) states, "You just keep pushing forward, you're dead anyway, you have to try kill as many of them and that's by being the most aggressive." That's a suicidal response when fear should be creating the logical and instinctive "do anything for my life" response - what do people think of that? If you relate it to CQB and its close proximity and therefore higher casualty ratio would that context apply?

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Cheetah
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Cheetah » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Well, about "fear factor" I can understand the feeling "take as much of them as you can with you", I felt it in my first time. But I was rookie, they (B-20) are not, at least supposedly. May be it's better analise the books about this theme because the most actions in the movie are unbelievable and very far from reality.

I strongly recommend reading "The Real Bravo Two Zero" by Michael Asher
http://books.google.com.mx/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y
"While you reading this, your enemy is training."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:00 am

Already read it and seen the documentary, I was getting at the philosophy behind it.

"Tombstone Courage

Confidence is necessary under tactical situations but overconfidence can be a detriment to one’s health. Pride has a way of eroding your humility (particularly after being badly beaten or if things aren’t going your way) and if survival is in order, humility is a good thing.

There’s no doubt that aggressiveness helps warriors win battles, but there needs to be a place for safety and patience. There’s a time for retreat and egress and waiting for an enemy to make a move or leaving the gunfight all together may be the best tactical option. Thumbing one’s chest in false bravado will inevitably get people hurt. Be wise. Be safe. Stay alive."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:03 am

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:09 am

Fight or Flight overview. Right click and save to see whole image.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “CQB General Discussions ”