CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Moderator: jimothy_183

Post Reply
User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 2787
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 am
Contact:

CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by Ryan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:15 am



To me this is a good differentiation of terminology, as opposed to the fads you see nowadays.

Offensive - moving directly towards threat area.
Defensive - preventing intrusion by way of denying access.
This seems to be a dynamic concept, as expected in this environment, where transitioning to offensive is to complete a short-term, short-distance goal. For example clearing a bedroom or through-room, clearing your exit path, etc.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

User avatar
jimothy_183
Military
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:55 am
Location: Australia

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:19 am

The definitions of offensive and defensive CQB you just gave were what I had always thought of from the days I began studying CQB years ago. What did/do other people think it meant?
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

User avatar
tacticalguy
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by tacticalguy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:59 am

jimothy_183 wrote:The definitions of offensive and defensive CQB you just gave were what I had always thought of from the days I began studying CQB years ago. What did/do other people think it meant?
What he said. ^
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 2787
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by Ryan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:44 am

jimothy_183 wrote:The definitions of offensive and defensive CQB you just gave were what I had always thought of from the days I began studying CQB years ago. What did/do other people think it meant?
Exactly that, although I haven't heard it often. I have only heard it in regards to civilian home defense, as opposed to MIL/LE. You hardly hear of "defensive CQB" when people wait out or conduct a limited entry, just putting it out there. Maybe I just fit too much in my brain that I forgot about it. :roll: :lol: I swear Jimothy if we got together and wrote a book... $$$. :lol: :lol: :lol:
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

User avatar
jimothy_183
Military
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:55 am
Location: Australia

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Ryan wrote::roll: :lol: I swear Jimothy if we got together and wrote a book... $$$. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe one day. :wink:
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

derebaker
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:47 pm
Location: Yugoslavia
Contact:

CQB Offensive vs Defensive CQB

Post by derebaker » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:26 am

I live in Hartsville which is just northeast of Nashville, and me and some of my friends were wondering if there were any CQB fields near us. Thank you for the help.
Мой ресурс всем советую посетить Клик

User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 2787
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: CQB Offensive vs Defensive CQB

Post by Ryan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:31 am

derebaker wrote:I live in Hartsville which is just northeast of Nashville, and me and some of my friends were wondering if there were any CQB fields near us. Thank you for the help.
Unsure mate. We're not airsofters. We have an airsoft section where you could ask though.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

RikiTiki
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by RikiTiki » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:38 am

Hey guys, new member and echo what you guys said. I also have never heard of defensive shooting / moving inside your home? I can only assume the definition was meant more for an open air assault ? Like you're been robbed in a parking lot, etc. however, I compete routinely at various uspsa and IDPA matches where this discussion comes up family often. The primary quote from IDPA shooters is that a stage or course of fire should NEVER be conducted moving forward. Rather, it should only be shot moving sideways or backwards I.e. "Defensive" shooting.

User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 2787
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by Ryan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:56 pm

RikiTiki wrote:Hey guys, new member and echo what you guys said. I also have never heard of defensive shooting / moving inside your home? I can only assume the definition was meant more for an open air assault ? Like you're been robbed in a parking lot, etc. however, I compete routinely at various uspsa and IDPA matches where this discussion comes up family often. The primary quote from IDPA shooters is that a stage or course of fire should NEVER be conducted moving forward. Rather, it should only be shot moving sideways or backwards I.e. "Defensive" shooting.
Is there a closed air assault?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

RikiTiki
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by RikiTiki » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Ha. Good point

Breacher01
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by Breacher01 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Welcome to the discussions! feel free to address every subject, Any input is worthwhile.


Defensive fire does exist in my experience in two ways:

1. Shooting and maneuvering, you shoot (IRL) mostly over the enemy's head with not really aimed fire to allow you, or some elelement in the field to move hoping the opposing forces are crouched, seeking cover. inside or outside.

2. shooting aimed at opposing forces to avoid them moving forward.

Both types are intertwined, but the similarity is the effect, you shoot not to eliminate your opponent but to allow your unit to secure some position, do some task or withdraw in relative safety. which all are neutral or defensive. in a single room, village/field or even on a larger scale with mud movers used to withdraw.

Offensive cqb is breach, bang and clear. If you don't stop when you meet opposition(therefore you are there to eliminate them) its offensive fire. distracting tactics and devices also seem distinctly offensive. No bangers or other pyrotechnics seem to be used even on an extraction.

Its all my experience, I've encountered a lot of contacts with a lot of opponents, but i didn't write the rules(unfortunately).

User avatar
tacticalguy
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by tacticalguy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:21 am

Ryan wrote:
RikiTiki wrote:Hey guys, new member and echo what you guys said. I also have never heard of defensive shooting / moving inside your home? I can only assume the definition was meant more for an open air assault ? Like you're been robbed in a parking lot, etc. however, I compete routinely at various uspsa and IDPA matches where this discussion comes up family often. The primary quote from IDPA shooters is that a stage or course of fire should NEVER be conducted moving forward. Rather, it should only be shot moving sideways or backwards I.e. "Defensive" shooting.
Is there a closed air assault?
Indoors? :lol: :lol:
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 2787
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by Ryan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:50 am

tacticalguy wrote:
Ryan wrote:
RikiTiki wrote:Hey guys, new member and echo what you guys said. I also have never heard of defensive shooting / moving inside your home? I can only assume the definition was meant more for an open air assault ? Like you're been robbed in a parking lot, etc. however, I compete routinely at various uspsa and IDPA matches where this discussion comes up family often. The primary quote from IDPA shooters is that a stage or course of fire should NEVER be conducted moving forward. Rather, it should only be shot moving sideways or backwards I.e. "Defensive" shooting.
Is there a closed air assault?
Indoors? :lol: :lol:
No air assault = outer space.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Breacher01
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by Breacher01 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Modern AG(air->Ground) systems allow for enough accuracy to assist ground forces even in urban terrain and indoors. I've heard "Danger close" maybe too many times to claim otherwise.

User avatar
tacticalguy
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by tacticalguy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:44 am

Breacher01 wrote:Modern AG(air->Ground) systems allow for enough accuracy to assist ground forces even in urban terrain and indoors. I've heard "Danger close" maybe too many times to claim otherwise.
Ryan and I were attempting to bring some levity to the discussion. I think that our attempts were too subtle. Sorry.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Breacher01
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: CQB - Offensive vs Defensive CQB?

Post by Breacher01 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Don't mention it.

A lot of subtle thing fly past me, even in my native language.
I don't have what they call a good sense for the subtle things, in language at least.

Post Reply

Return to “CQB General Discussions ”