Leaning whilst slicing the pie

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

jimothy_183
Military

Leaning whilst slicing the pie

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:48 am

Should an operator lean whilst they are slicing the pie to avoid exposing too much of their body or is it unnecessary to do so?

I don't think I've seen to many people pie whilst keeping their body completely upright.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

wolfeye
Civilian

Post by wolfeye » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:20 pm

I too want to know the answer to that technique. Leaning kinda screws up the sight picture if one doesn't have a reflex sight. To lean or not to lean?

During airsoft, I find that while slicing the pie, it helps to be ambidextrous with my weapon. Righties handle corners that open left but are at a disadvantage with a contrasting corner. Any comments?

As a Video Director, I train to be adept with either eye, left or right. In the LE and military, do they train in similar fashion?

Merc
Military

To lean

Post by Merc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:29 pm

I find leaning to give you an advantage, no one really talks about it but I personally use it. As for switching hands, YES! I go to the range and practice shooting left handed so if the situation arises I can easily and comfortably switch hands to service the target.
Without remorse.

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:32 am

leaning is an important part of slicing the pie. The trick is to lean a little bit(not too far) and then let your feet catch up. Lean, let your feet catch up, lean, let your feet catch up. Keep doing it until the corner is clear.

Generally you do switch shoulders, do it if you can. Sometimes you can't because of the speed you are moving at, or because your gear is hung up, or you don't trust yourself to transition without making noise. But yes transitioning is good. When slicing the pie while the gun is in the wrong shoulder, you need to lean even more. You might consider doing more of a quick peak then actually slicing the pie if you can not transition.

Remember to take it slow and stay as far away from the corner as possible. Practice by having somebody hide a large mirror in your house. Work you way through all the corners until you find the mirror. If they set the mirror up right, you should be looking at your eye and muzzle in the mirror when you find it. This is a good way to check your technique.

Merc
Military

Post by Merc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:04 pm

Wow, that's an awesome technique! I'll probably be spending the next few days on that. How far off the corner do you like to stay while Pie-ing Jack? I usually stay about a foot or so back to keep from flagging my muzzle. Is this too close, I know in your sector of CQB you have the reality of someone grabbing your muzzle more than we do, thoughts?
Without remorse.

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:27 am

Usually you want to stay as far away as possible, with in reason. The danger of being too far away is that you open yourself up to additional threats from other areas. But generally you want to be as far away as possible.

For instance; If clearing an open doorway in a hallway, you generally want to hug the far wall and be as far away from the doorway as possible. But be careful not to drag along the far wall or bump up against it, because that would make noise that might give away your position.

Ryan

Re: Leaning whilst slicing the pie

Post by Ryan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:44 am

I've seen leaning slightly while entering the door from a set angle, it gives you good eyes directly into that corner so you clear it 0.1 seconds quicker because you're slightly leaning in and get the eye around the door with your muzzle quicker than you would without slightly leaning. Then you can quicker swoop into the room and clear the rest of it.

6:20, the slight lean in.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”