Low Light tactics

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

JW417G
Law Enforcment

Post by JW417G » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:19 am

We call it "flooding the corner". After pieing the room, you flash a high intensity light into the deep corner (strobing feature on a flashlight is preferred). It will either provoke a reaction (suspect shooting at the light because they think you entered the room) or will temporarily blind them. A few seconds after you "flood the corner" (if no shots were fired) you either execute a limited entry or dynamic entry...depending on the situation. IT IS A VERY SUCCESSFUL TECHNIQUE!

Yes, we got is from Ken Good...yes, we teach it on my department...and, yes, I use it operationally.

The Gladius light (with the upgraded LED bulb / 160 lumens) is the way to go. Standard momentary feature, strobing feature, and low output feature (for low light nav) all in one light. I have one on my duty belt and one mounted on my personal carbine.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but Ken Good's book "The Strategies of Low Light Engagements" is considered the bible for low light principles and tactics in the L.E. community.
Stay safe!
Jason

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:00 am

Yes. I have read the book.

birddog
Military

Post by birddog » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:38 pm

If I may, But while in a low light situation (house, building, so forth) And the "bad guys" are allready in a lowlight mode ( natural nightvision) , wouldnt a short blast from a SureFire temprarily blind them while you get target aquisition ?
They say that hard work never killed anyone, but why take that chance ?

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:58 am

Sure it will blind them, but it will also give them a very specific target to shoot at.

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:39 am

Here is another simple low light tactic.

Often times one team member will hold on a long threat such as a hallway or stairs, and wait there until enough people fill in behind him to move forward and clear the threat.

In this situation if you are holding, you might have to be shining a light down a hallway or up/down a set of stairs for a couple of minutes. In this case try taking a knee and then holding the light well above your head.

Usually I keep my gun down range with one hand and rest the light well above my head against a corner or a doorway. This keeps me lower than the light, if somebody pops around a corner they will likely shoot at the light(above your head) and people tend to shoot high in low light situations anyway.

Let me know if you try it and do or don't like it.

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”