Worst Place for a Limited?

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Worst Place for a Limited?

Post by Ryan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:18 pm

0:35.

I've said this before but I will say it again. This kind of structure is bad for a limited. You have one connecting doorway where any angle on that doorway is dominating you. If you are at the end of the hallway, it is truly a huge funnel. Putting yourself in the middle of this funnel can be dangerous but if the threat is not downed from the limited position, you are falling into a prolonged firefight. Rounds at even the wall, in this video, would down multiple officers packed so tightly. Any prolonged entry - that is a "long" entry to get into the room - can be quite dangerous in a limited. If there is too much space to clear from the door, at some point you have to enter. I will give you a positive while I'm here, the real positive being that you can identify multiple people from the door and visual all hands and movements. The bad is, from the door, that if one went to cover or concealment (e.g. behind the counter), you have just lost the initiative. Fire need not be directed at split targets WITHIN the room but just at the door. At that point you would have to get out of the funnel. The SPLIT TARGET principle is not only from the door but once you move in, too. Limited transitions to an entry, just not immediately, UNLESS the situation dictates or the personal decision has been made (right or wrong). There, I said it again!
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Re: Worst Place for a Limited?

Post by Ryan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:54 am

And here is another. As I say. AGAIN.

When there is no 'other side' to the door. And you can't split it. You can still fight from it as Eli does here. Fight and look to get in the room. Fight, realize it's a no-go and look to retreat and find ANOTHER way into the room. This are simple principles that will save your live. Do not just ENTER the room, FIGHT into it. If you can follow these other principles: split targets, multiple guns to one threat (2:1 is good, 3:1 is excellent). In the demonstrated video, a high/low (true high/low) would have benefited the situation but arguably not greatly. It seems that one man was all that was needed as he caught the enemy by partial surprise.

Fighting into the room by one person can create a lane of access for another. Allowing some space, as Eli did, for a bypass zone may have allowed access to the room, if the suspects were not killed. If no one entered, Eli may have been injured or killed or lost the angle. Once you lose the angle, there are other options to help you defeat the threats. And also note that the other team can shoot-through without Eli getting in the way.

From Eli:

"I gave him a nod and he knew automatically what he needed to do. He shot-through. Then you can see the effect on the people inside... they started to move to the right = isolated. in reality, they would move even more."

Isolation. Fix-in-place. Next?

"Next. What I did was... listening and waiting for both sounds to go down. As soon as I recognised the gap, I stepped out and engaged. I knew which angle to take and pushed towards where they would be once I engaged from the door."

Find the dominate angle and fight for it.

"For the record I ran this 15 times in a row and no one died. Then on the last scenario, 3 of ours died. That's the current record."
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”