Spot the Errors

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Spot the Errors

Post by Ryan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:35 pm

This video demonstrates what happens when fatigue and nerves hit. And also the fundamental flaws with any one tactic or technique.

I thought it was good for a series on spotting errors.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

tacticalguy

Re: Spot the Errors

Post by tacticalguy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:18 pm

Oh my.
1) :08 Guy kicks the door open, blocks the doorway with his body and scurries back out of the way.
2) :11 Occupied hallway is spotted and open door. Attention is paid to open door more than the tangoes hanging out at the end of the hallway. Camera keeps turning back to show team members and away from the open door and tangoes in the hallway.
3) :20 Nine seconds after the tangoes are spotted, engaged.
4) :23 Open door is dealt with. Poor check and room dominance. Firing up the left side of the room after tango is "down".
5) :46 Second man in fails to move clear of the funnel or clear his right corner before engaging the "deep" tango.

Ya know what? That's too many errors for me in the first 38 seconds. I'll let someone else take over. If you're going to use a GO-PRO, make sure that you look good before posting it.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:19 pm

Tacticalguy, what would you recommend doing instead at 0:46? I remember reading something of Paul Howe's that suggests old SOPs were to double tap the deep targets and move onto your sector, but I think he wrote something about shooting the known threat to the ground and stepping off line to let the second guy and third guy pick up the deep corners being his preferred method now.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:37 am

Eiffel wrote:Tacticalguy, what would you recommend doing instead at 0:46? I remember reading something of Paul Howe's that suggests old SOPs were to double tap the deep targets and move onto your sector, but I think he wrote something about shooting the known threat to the ground and stepping off line to let the second guy and third guy pick up the deep corners being his preferred method now.
I would recommend getting off the X. If he had cleared the doorway successfully, the third man in could have been moving deep into the room while he was minding his priority, the corner that he and his team could have been ambushed from. That's how I was trained. As I was told once, "a threat is a threat is a threat..." It all depends on the size of the team that you're working with. It appeared as if they were doing 3-4 man teams. If Paul Howe advocates something then, I would be HIGHLY inclined to examine it and take it on good faith that it's probably a good, tried and true, technique. I never argue with Tier 1 operators.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Sounds like the "direct-to-threat" method.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Sorry, it's hard to explain in text, especially when I've only read about it myself. I think it's different from the typical direct to threat method (which I know Mr. Howe has criticized in the past) in that you don't necessarily close on the threat, you just move into the room and distance yourself off the wall enough for the next guy to pick up your corner.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:05 am

Ah, gotcha. Creating a bypass lane rather than moving towards threat.

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”