Elongated Entry

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Elongated Entry

Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:20 am

I want to pose this question to you guys. How do you deal with an elongated entry?

This is usually a passageway, foyer/lobby, or some type of long obstacle (linear danger area) you face before coming to the first set of rooms. It can be truly a 360 degree battlefield at that point. You may have stairwells facing down on you, overhangs and internal windows facing on you, multiple rooms with openings and all kinds of odd shapes and angles to deal with.

Here's an example:

Imagine you're either coming through at this angle, or imagine it from the other side of the room with the small wooden door in the middle, ground floor.
How do you deal with this?

There is a great deal to visualize and take in.
There are many strong angles onto the entrypoint.
If you get trapped here the enemy can move, has multiple angles of attack, has cover and has the drop on you.

Therefore - is a limited entry worse in these situations than immediately pushing through?

Here's another example with doors. Imagine this picture without them. You have an elongated entry where it's a giant funnel. The true visualization of a fatal funnel, in my opinion. Not only this but imagine it with doors, you offer a lot of potential risk by conducting a limited entry from all the doors. You may be in an uncontested hallway but it is very narrow and does not offer you much. Would it be better just to push through and flow into rooms like these? If so, how do you keep yourself from getting shot against a prepared defender while doing so?

Here's the final example.

You have a four-way intersection from the door. From a limited entry standpoint can people flow through the door as you have guys cover each side? If so, how would that work? Imagine if a team moved in, flowing to the right, only to be engaged from behind. How does that team react and the team from the front door?

Now, with an elongated entry, you may come across it BEFORE coming to the initial door. How does your approach change when moving towards and through such an obstacle?

Nathan said:

"Treat it like any hallway movement technique until you hit a corner at the doorway.

So you enter, don't over penetrate, take the corner. I don't have the same distinction between stealth and dynamic because I move dynamically in pulses between corners.

Rush to smooth/stop, rush to smooth/stop.

A corner is a corner. An open doorway is the same. The only difference is when a closed door is involved."
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”