Comment on Entry Technique: L-Shape Technique

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Comment on Entry Technique: L-Shape Technique

Post by Ryan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:34 pm

By Nathan Wagar. Note: Some slides repeat. To view whole picture: Right click -> save as -> open. OR right click -> open in new window.
Note: He is getting these professionally done at a later date, and modifying them. This is just a proof of concept.

The L-Shape Technique. A technique for crossing the door while maintaining vital coverage then being able to assess the room in a limited entry before entering. Includes man-down drills, open hallway drills, etc. You see this technique conducted within limited entries such as the High Threat Limited Entry (HTLE) and Israeli Limited Entry (ILE) but within the entry, not a specific component of it. Nathan broke this down so people can have a better understanding of it - why you have two men covering, one offset; how you cross; actions on man-down; the differences between being near-door and far-door as coverman, etc. This also includes diagonal entries and methods that do not stick to the strongwall.

This technique reminds me of "patching" or "bumping" a road or linear danger area.

CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Re: Comment on Entry Technique: L-Shape Technique

Post by Ryan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:54 pm

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:56 pm

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:01 am

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:32 am

"I will say that with one man clearing, it is different because sometimes the door does not open all the way and that can be a real issue. I pop the door slightly so I can glance through the hinges and determine layout as well as clear the corner in one move. Then I pop the doorway all the way open as I cross to the other side like a hasty pie. Then I can roll out or run long on the final bit."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:49 am

Here's a better example on approach/closing in on the entrance by Nathan:

RTC - Get on line. Well, RTC in the stack you get on line using the L-shape using the correct angle of approach.

Each person has a lane of fire onto the threat. Two guns, one threat.

Each is split from each other. Tactical dilemma of target selection/hierarchy, no through-rounds.

"Now if I had two man directly behind one-man like a column, it doesn't work. Why? Because as one man cuts left, the threat immediately sees two man, because there's no blind spot as they split.

It took some trial and error from the threat's point of view to catch that."

Near guy can back up to cover or hug the wall.

"Ok, so the reason I do it like this, is because if one man takes fire and doesn't get the best of the exchange immediately, he will want to go toward cover. This lets him do that without flagging issues."

"People tend to stutter step or even back away under fire. This method assumes that and uses it to it's advantage."

Visual disorientation.

"As one man moves left to the wall or at least out of sight, two-man's weapon moves with him as two man cuts right.

From the threat's point of view, he saw one man, one man starts to disappear, the threat starts to catch up visually and suddenly there's a second guy cutting the opposite way."

"One man can fire suppressively through the corner depending on ROE, but two-man's job is aimed, careful fire. This lets one man get his bearings and zag back closer to the door and pop out as a low man or something. It's like a now you see me, now you don't type thing that is always moving closer."

The far guy can cover long as near guy prepares to enter or faints entry.

3D disorientation, level changes and alternating fires are all encompassed into this.

"You see one man and start firing, he moves toward the wall/corner, you try to round the corner a bit, and as you are doing that suddenly there's a second guy cutting the other way firing at the same time.

Having the offset let's there be a blind spot as he is rounding the corner a bit to track visually. Suddenly there's two guys and he has to make a decision, but he's behind the curve. The reason I have the two man run long is because the eye adjusts more quickly far to near than near to far. So on top of split targets, one of them is farther away. Every second counts.

Things like this are easy to drill but they are dramatically different from what most people are used to. And as opfor, it "feels" a lot different to go against. Really, it's just sleight of hand."

"If I am shooting at a guy slicing long from the doorway, and suddenly a guy is dumping right from the doorway, that's a depth change that I'm not ready for. Meanwhile, while I paid attention to that, the long man crossed the door, say, and now I'm fighting split targets but I didn't see it happen."

Advocacy on diagonal entries.

"I always run diagonal unless it isn't possible. Diagonal changes depth in two dimensions. It's just like I'd rather slip a punch in multiple dimensions instead of back and forth. It's the same when I do hallways. I have one man always go low. Two man can pull over his shoulder. If they take fire they can both split, or even go back to pre cleared rooms. It's flexible. I want people to think on their feet intuitively. It's an example of vertical triangulation on the move, that can also split off horizontally. These details are small but huge. I based some of it off how the human eye works."

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:40 am

Just FYI, there were no images for me. It says image but, that's all.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:12 am

http://imgur.com/a/DIuSs

Does this work? The first set of pictures are the second post I have made here. The second set of pictures was the original (top) post. They might not be in order and I do not know how to fix that.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:40 am

Couldn't access it. Nm, lol.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:08 am

Now? I made it public.

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”