Comment on Entry Technique: Door-Jam Take-off (DJT)

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Comment on Entry Technique: Door-Jam Take-off (DJT)

Post by Ryan » Fri May 25, 2012 3:08 am

'THE DOOR JAMB TAKE-OFF AND THE PEKITI TAKE-OFF'

"So I am viewing the long rendition of the soon to be released CQB - FIGHTING IN STRUCTURES and I watched the discussion on the DJT (Door Jamb Take Off). I laughed as I realized all the flightsuited internet meatballs will say it is wrong. Oh well. It worked plenty of times back in the day - maybe even not in as a refined edition.

First the ground work. Team door entries.

There are a number of different types of entry configuration for team entry. The only hard rule is that you want to get two guys into the room simultaneously. Why? Simple...you cannot look two directions at one time and having two guns enter allows each man's back to be covered. We go into that at great length as well as the advantages of the simultaneous cross over.

But Murphy was an architect and many times, the situation is not optimal reaquiring modified entry tactics. One such tactic has been the button hook entry. Picture a doorway, and an operator positioned along the wall to the left of that doorway. His job is to enter through the doorway and dominate the left side of the room. Can you see it? Lets discuss just the one man now for clarity of subject.

Traditionally, the solution has been to loop around in an elliptical manner around the doorjamb and then drive into that corner...hopefully MP5 muzzle first.

Problem? It is slow, and it places you driving directly into the line of fire. Why is done still? Fortuitous outcomes reinforce bad tactics.

Solution - we have learned through rigorous drilling, that angular movement is dramatically faster than elliptical movement. Moreover, it is exceedingly more difficult to track than elliptical movement.

Application - The Pekiti Take Off we use in out get-off-the-x drills. This is how it works. As the operator moves into the doorway, he does so dynamically and hard. He jams his foot into the juncture of floor and door frame, and propels himself off that spot diagonally into the room.

Try it. Put your boots on first as it is not a technique for the Croc-wearing.

Not only does his time in the "fatal funnel" decrease, but he is harder to track as he passes the opening. And finally, it moves him, not directly into the line of fire, but into the 1:00 line which we have found to be the most beneficial in terms of avoiding the bad guy's gun muzzle." - Warrior Talk News, Suarez International Group Of Companies, 24 MAY 2012.

One thing about these types of articles is everyone has a different style, training pattern and approach to these techniques. What do you guys think?

Note: I have seen similar styles of entry where you 'step-in' or even 'side-step' or 'strafe' into the point of domination to control the whole room. Specifically for corner-fed rooms.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Re: Comment on Entry Technique: Door-Jam Take-off (DJT)

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Perfect example of this:

semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:08 am

1:19. Actually seen here for a couple seconds - by #2 man. As opposed to the video above showing #1 man conducting it.
Compared to 3:50 which shows the buttonhook, you can note that with the DJT the weapon is up and at the ready because it's given more space; it's a straighter angle from the doorway into the room so that was expected but there's another pro. With the buttonhook shown, your weapon would be too close and collide, unless you babysat it around the doorway and maneuvered it (which is probably more advanced than what needs to be taught to actors in the video). Probably hence why they're going in low-ready and straight up to shoulder to hit their corners. I used to dislike this technique but the video above demonstrated it done with speed and precision, it's actually moved up the ranks in my book.

2:40. Another example in which the operator uses the momentum while kicking open the door to DJT.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

DareTactical

Post by DareTactical » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:44 pm

Ryan wrote:'THE DOOR JAMB TAKE-OFF AND THE PEKITI TAKE-OFF'

"So I am viewing the long rendition of the soon to be released CQB - FIGHTING IN STRUCTURES and I watched the discussion on the DJT (Door Jamb Take Off). I laughed as I realized all the flightsuited internet meatballs will say it is wrong. Oh well. It worked plenty of times back in the day - maybe even not in as a refined edition.

First the ground work. Team door entries.

There are a number of different types of entry configuration for team entry. The only hard rule is that you want to get two guys into the room simultaneously. Why? Simple...you cannot look two directions at one time and having two guns enter allows each man's back to be covered. We go into that at great length as well as the advantages of the simultaneous cross over.

But Murphy was an architect and many times, the situation is not optimal reaquiring modified entry tactics. One such tactic has been the button hook entry. Picture a doorway, and an operator positioned along the wall to the left of that doorway. His job is to enter through the doorway and dominate the left side of the room. Can you see it? Lets discuss just the one man now for clarity of subject.

Traditionally, the solution has been to loop around in an elliptical manner around the doorjamb and then drive into that corner...hopefully MP5 muzzle first.

Problem? It is slow, and it places you driving directly into the line of fire. Why is done still? Fortuitous outcomes reinforce bad tactics.

Solution - we have learned through rigorous drilling, that angular movement is dramatically faster than elliptical movement. Moreover, it is exceedingly more difficult to track than elliptical movement.

Application - The Pekiti Take Off we use in out get-off-the-x drills. This is how it works. As the operator moves into the doorway, he does so dynamically and hard. He jams his foot into the juncture of floor and door frame, and propels himself off that spot diagonally into the room.

Try it. Put your boots on first as it is not a technique for the Croc-wearing.

Not only does his time in the "fatal funnel" decrease, but he is harder to track as he passes the opening. And finally, it moves him, not directly into the line of fire, but into the 1:00 line which we have found to be the most beneficial in terms of avoiding the bad guy's gun muzzle." - Warrior Talk News, Suarez International Group Of Companies, 24 MAY 2012.

One thing about these types of articles is everyone has a different style, training pattern and approach to these techniques. What do you guys think?

Note: I have seen similar styles of entry where you 'step-in' or even 'side-step' or 'strafe' into the point of domination to control the whole room. Specifically for corner-fed rooms.
Anyone know where I can find a link to view "CQB - Fighting in Structures"? The shipping fee alone for the DVD is a huge chunk out of my wallet..
"train hard, fight easy"

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:16 pm

Pretty sure Jimothy has a folder with a few 100 gigs worth of material, this included. Jimothy?

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:27 pm

Nah I got Suarez's other CQB video that's named after his book "The Tactical Advantage".

1000th post! Yay me! :lol:
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:01 pm

Congrats Jimothy. :lol:

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”