Comment on Hallway Technique: Turn-Off

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Comment on Hallway Technique: Turn-Off

Post by Ryan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:20 am

Turn-Off (or Cover and Hold, using a Blocker):
A turn-off is used as your team is moving towards an objective room or area and you want to move past an uncleared or potential threat such as another hallway or a door. A turn-off may also be classified as an area you do not want to enter or is a threat to you, and therefore need it covered as you move past or towards it. It can be modified and used off anything from one linear area to two linear danger areas such as a T-junction to a crossroad of danger areas, such as a + shaped junction.

A turn-off demonstrated. The direction of travel is from left to right.

Once all units move past the turn-off man then they call ‘fall in’ or ‘last man’.

Modification: 2-man and 3-man turn-off versions where 2 or 3 men may be covering a threat area (depending on its size, angles available and enemy combatant numbers). Cross-off or cross-over is where the covering man goes to the first corner and allows others to pass, and is covered by their last man at the next corner before proceeding, you could basically class it as a similar maneuver to a linear danger crossing or obstacle crossing.

Example video of a Turn-Off:

Another example video:

Timecode 2:25-2:35.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Re: Comment on Hallway Technique: Turn-Off

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:18 am

Ok, my 2 cents as usual.

Unless you are covering something narrow like a window as seen in the last video it is not a great idea to have only one man covering a wider hallway like shown in the first image. Take advantage of the width and put at least 2 men on each corner when moving past.

Secondly, this tactic is basically bounding overwatch, except it's done in a CQB enviroment.

Third and last, I believe that this is more of a "dynamic" technique where a team has to traverse a building quickly and doesn't have the time to use the mirror or pie corners. But when Isay that it doesn't have to actually be used in dynamic, it's up to the leader what the team is going to use.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:29 am

The door is narrow enough to cover, and suppress. With others bi-passing you and on contact they could easily support you.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:31 am

I disagree, I wouldn't want to be standing still in the fatal funnel.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:35 am

What about hugging the doorframe/doorjamb, corner of the door?

You can adjust it, the team could slow down while you pie it out then turn-off for them to move. The pros for me are rooms with interconnecting doors are covered. It has a lot of negatives, I agree.

A hallway is a linear battlespace within itself. Hug the walls, stay in the centre... you can still do a turn-off from those locations. It's used for the team bi-passing to carry on moving to their area and not get flogged down or halted during, any one of those can back-up the turn-off man.

Quick-peeking in or pie'ing into the room as you hold the position is possible too. Can mix it up with two operators, high-low and other slight modifications to increase success rate.

1:50 Turn-off seen twice for operators getting into an objective room.
Sure, I don't agree with using the guy as a body shield but one for the toolbox.

Also, what do you consider with the "double turn-off" where someone breaks left and another right while you pass through the middle? Quite like the traditional, "patch" or "flag", drill to road crossings.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:53 am

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:34 am

Looks like a turn-off to me. Of course in a high/low configuration.

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”