Strong Wall and Opposing Corners

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

jimothy_183
Military

Strong Wall and Opposing Corners

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:02 pm

After reading this handbook I learnt a couple of new things about strong wall and opposing corners. First, opposing corners is actually taught as a more "advanced" technique that is only taught to soldiers and operators deemed to be competent enough to use it since it has a higher risk of friendly fire. Second, it's main purpose is to negate the benefit of cover provided by barricades/furniture in the room.

However after thinking about it for a bit I am still skeptical about the necessity for something like opposing corners as I would just use what they call strong wall. This is because a team can quite easily have barricade clearing as part of their "post entry procedure" SOP. For example, if you have 4 men clearing a room there will be 2 men on each side of the doorway if the entry goes well. If a barrricade is found in the room or there is some place in the room that can hide a threat it would simply be cleared by having one pair providing cover while the other clears the barricade. This can be seen in a video called "High Risk Entry".The only disadvantage to doing it this way is that it takes longer unlike opposing corners which clears a barricade during the tactical phase of room clearing.

However opposing corners has a disadvantage in that it places one man away from the rest of the team, which could potentially lead to that one man being overwhelmed by the enemy or being cut off from the team if they need to disengage/break contact. Like the first principle of the 8 principles of machine gun employment states "P – Pairs: Always deploy in pairs. Not only in combat, but in all aspects of military accountability" that is to say when a team is clearing rooms no one should clear anything in the room alone.

Discuss...
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Strong Wall and Opposing Corners

Post by Admin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:37 pm

opposing corners is also known as Delta wedge, it can be found in TT:
http://cqb-team.com/delta_wedge.php
http://CQB-Team.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/CQBteam
Tactical education and motivation.training info for the soldier that wish to learn the art of CQB.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:34 am

opps, sorry I didn't make the connection.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:47 am

There's still room for error and cross-fire. The enemy may not be static or stunned. For the most case when they use a barricade it's to seat themselves there and remain there, without movement, to use some kind of cover or concealment. A smart enemy would use it well to advantage, shooting underneath or around to pick off threats as they move to these corners and isolate the whole drill itself into a clusterfuck. When they are under threat and duress being moved upon they will most probably stay in situ, if they are taking fire they will probably remain there. But this does not mean they can't move or will not move on you -- if they do there is a cross-fire risk.

Other than that it's remaining on if the barricade is in the middle of the room, isn't it? I suppose a strong point is the two towards the middle can cover as the outside group, the wings, move off and clear a further barricade using triangulation of fire/coverage - clearing from multiple angles.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

seal236

Post by seal236 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:44 pm

Opposing corners technique from my experiences has been the reason for many blue on blues, or green on greens. Especially if you are doing hostage rescue style clearance which is fast.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:51 am

I'm not a fan of the opposing corners technique. As others have stated, there is a much higher chance of friendly fire.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”