Quick Question Regarding The Stack Up

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Dramatikk

Quick Question Regarding The Stack Up

Post by Dramatikk » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:49 pm

When stacking up outside the entry/breach point, is it a tactical advantage for the stacking team that the shortest man is the point man?

If the number two man is the team leader, he/she will have a better view to the front of the team and better situational awareness ... This because the number two man is taller than the point man ... :roll:

Some guy told me this info for some time ago, just wanted to know if it's something to it or not?

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)
Last edited by Dramatikk on Thu May 17, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimothy_183
Military

Re: Quick Question Regarding The Stack Up

Post by jimothy_183 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:26 am

It depends on whether you are operating on an SOP that says that every operator must stack up in a particular order or if your team is "fluid" and stack up in any order.

Again both have pros and cons. Pick what you think is best for you and stick with it.

So for the point man being shorter, I have heard that before as well but I don't personally think it's that big of an advantage.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:26 am

Hire me a midget... :lol:
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:49 am

Reminds me of this picture...

Guy to the left, shortest straw goes in first? :P

Now thinking about some structure types, especially some foreign or really old (cottage for example) types, it can become a really tight squeeze and your point man is saving your arse going in first and engaging the enemy as you come in so as not to get caught up in the door. You don't want to get in that situation and being shorter in that sense would offer a natural advantage but a minimal one at that.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:27 am

I worked the number two position on snake entries for a long time. The reason given for not putting me on point was that I was so tall. I could reach right over the point man and engage targets as if I was working point.

If skill levels are equal, sure put the short guy up front. But also it pays to put a tall guy right behind him.

With that in mind size should not be THE determining factor in selection of a point man. I would put the shortest guy outside behind a tree if he wasn't very skilled or didn't have the right mindset.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:07 am

That's true Jack. You should pie off the front-man anyhow.

Regarding the stack, what types of stacks are there? Single, double, modified?

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:12 am

There are two basic ones that I know of, single and double.

There is another type that I have seen where one man will be on one side while the rest of the team is one the other side. The door will be opened (by the man on the door knob side) and the team will enter with the single man entering last.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Itsahak

Post by Itsahak » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:59 am

I always seemed to be placed up front. Being 5' 7", they say it's easier to see over me. However it sucks in training for everyone behind me when I had to carry the shield!
Wil
See how easy life can be?

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”