Basic Questions: Correct distance to entry point?

Forum to discuss CQB entry tactics / room clearing, with other registered users.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Dramatikk

Basic Questions: Correct distance to entry point?

Post by Dramatikk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Just a simple question. When a team is stacking up outside the entry point, what distance should the poin man have to the entry point? *In this case the entry point is a _closed_ door.

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

jimothy_183
Military

Re: Basic Questions: Correct distance to entry point?

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:08 am

I don't think that there is one "correct" distance but a general rule is that you do not allow your body or any of your weapon and equipment to pass the door frame.

Depending on whether you like to keep your weapon raised in the ready position or lowered in the low ready position you should be as close to the opening as possible without letting anything on your person to pass it.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:52 am

I agree with jimothy. It wouldn't be close enough that if the door was opened someone could easily grab the weapons barrel, and it would depend on if breaching e.g. explosive breaching in a small area with a light but powerful charge you'd have to clear it and create some distance. But with a closed door you'd probably be fairly close ready to punch in and have the weapon aiming towards the door.

And you may want to clear some space in order to check around the corners of the building before entry. Simple question so complicated. :P
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Dramatikk

Post by Dramatikk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:33 am

Thnx for the reply, both Jimothy and Ryan. :wink:

I remember reading somewhere that the general rule was to be one arms lenght from the entry point ... :?

In addition to this you should also be one elbows lenght from the wall ... :?

Kind regards, Dramatikk. :)

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:42 am

Those distances you have been told can also be used. As I said there is no one "correct" distance. All of these things that have been mentioned on this thread have their pros and cons, just pick out the one that you think is best and use it.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:03 am

Any specific reason? To be able grab someone and pull them out?

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:08 am

No, I believe it's because it makes it easier to hook around the doorway with the offset off the wall. By making the turn less sharp you can move around it faster. It's the same thing with motor racing, the sharper the turn the slower you have to go to get through it.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri May 25, 2012 9:34 am

Good points.

To add on to my a post I made here. If using an explosive for an EMOE you have to calculate the 'safe stacking distance'. This will change the spacing from the entry point. I can chuck you the calc if you ever need it.

I suppose with just a simple MOE it would depend in which way the door opened too...

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:40 am

Ryan wrote: If using an explosive for an EMOE you have to calculate the 'safe stacking distance'.
Because you don't want to end up like THAT team (you know the vid I'm talking about :wink: ). :lol:

AidanMacc

Post by AidanMacc » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:14 pm

This depends on whether you're using an explosive to gain entry. Then obviously you need a safety distance for your stack. But if not obviously your breach man needs to get close to the door but as soon as he has gained entry he should step back within a 20 degree zone from the door to the wall. And the point man should start the breach from the 20 degree zone, which is about a yard from the door.

The 20 degree zone is the safety zone where no one inside of the room can see you, basically a no see zone for the people inside the room. The only way they can see you is by stepping outside the room and exposing themselves. Here is an example:

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:08 pm

An example of where incorrect distance can foil an entry.
Related subject: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2300.

Return to “CQB entry tactics / room clearing”