Reasons for a Team Leader

Issues relating to good tactical leadership and planning can be found here.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

jimothy_183
Military

Reasons for a Team Leader

Post by jimothy_183 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:51 am

My buddies don't really like the idea of having a TL that calls the shots and what not. The way they do it is by having the point man deciding where they want to go and whether or not a tactical aid gets deployed into a room before entering and I really don't like the idea.

The only reasons I have for having a TL is that it keeps the team centralised and assuming the TL knows what he's doing the team will be lead by someone who knows what he's doing. Personally I would not like a rookie who's only started to learn the tactics that my team uses to tell me he doesn't want a tac aid before entering a room because he thinks it's clear and is not necessary.

Are there any other reasons for having a Team Leader during Ops (or in my case "games") that would help with my argument against the way they do things in a debate?
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:22 pm

I think that having your point man as a team leader is a bad idea. He should be focused on the front and not worrying about what everyone behind him is doing. Besides he is likely to be the first one to get shot if things go wrong.

The Team Leader needs to be near the back so that he can see the big picture and direct what everyone else is doing. Not having a Team Leader is not a good idea. Besides somebody always ends up taking charge anyway, so why not appoint them before hand? Chose carefully though because you don't want to be stuck with a bad team leader.

Try rotating positions for a while, so you don't have to nail down who is the team leader for a while. It might go over better if you don't have to vote on who is TL right away. That way they get used to having a team leader and get to see who dose a good job, before they have to decide on if and who.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:25 am

OK, thanks Jake that helps. :)

Ryan

Re: Reasons for a Team Leader

Post by Ryan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:20 am

If a leader is that bad, then make sure you have a great 2IC. It is great to have a good leader, every team needs one (or two... as long as it's neutral and professional, in terms of the 2IC getting in the way) and you'd be lost without one.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

K Bauman

Post by K Bauman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:28 am

There is a time for the point to direct the flow of the entry, but he has to be governed and monitored by the TL. If they can play well together, a good pointman will know what his limits are, and what falls into responsibility of the TL. We often run the assist. TL as the pointman, works well. The TL can then direct the overall operation and be in contact w/ the CP.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:25 am

Yeah that's how we work in a small man patrol too, if you had to micromanage every detail it would become a clusterfuck. But to sit back and monitor, either tell them there and then or on the debrief then your pointman soon learns your intent and basically good route selection. If you had TL as pointman, I'd have a very good 2IC. :P

What's the CP, sorry?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:35 am

command post?

Return to “Leadership, General Discussions”