How to become a leader?

Issues relating to good tactical leadership and planning can be found here.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

tacticalguy

Re: How to become a leader?

Post by tacticalguy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:42 am

Leadership is an important issue. Why do you want to become a leader? Do you fear being led by someone else who you feel isn't skilled enough to keep you alive? Do you want to be able to tell others what to do? Do you feel that of the others in your office, that you're the best qualified to lead? Is there a pay raise for the leader? What is your motivation?
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

SRT-K9-0398

Post by SRT-K9-0398 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:34 am

Sometimes you wake up and look around at the guys on the team and you're the most experienced and seasoned. Young guys constantly look to you for answers and to see how you react on call outs and training exercises. Then the shuffle shakes up the rank structure and you take over as the leader in name not just because of you actions.
Then you realize, oh shit, I responsible for these guys. Leading them, training them, guiding them, and teaching them how to take over your job one day. The same job that you are trying to teach yourself how to do because no one trained or prepared you. Eh..... thats how it happen to me anyway.

tacticalguy

Post by tacticalguy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:39 am

Ah, I see the OP was deleted. Okay then.
If you have `cleared' all the rooms and met no resistance, you and your entry team have probably kicked in the door of the wrong house.
(Murphy's Cop Laws)

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (Von Clausewitz)

Breacher01

Post by Breacher01 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:31 pm

As an element leader you have certain responsibility to answer to. If you want to gain ranks or climb the ladder you need to accest these. It takes more situational awareness, and also communications skills and experience to combine these factors.

You need to put in the service hours, and accept this extra responsibility with the job. in my team there is little pay raise, but a chance at becoming a desk jockey in the end. for me its not worth the extra responsibility to start with.

Other people have different ambitions. They can have the job if its up to me, as long as their field work is impeccable.

Return to “Leadership, General Discussions”