Golden Rules of Leadership

Issues relating to good tactical leadership and planning can be found here.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

Golden Rules of Leadership

Post by Ryan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:06 am

- Three strikes and you are not out! LT Harold Moore.
- A good leader keeps tabs on his men at all times.

Anymore?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

badger

Re: Golden Rules of Leadership

Post by badger » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:51 pm

leading by examples. My first rule.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:09 am

• When the time comes to make a decision be decisive. Any flip flopping will imply a lack of confidence in yourself which in turn will instill inconficence in the followers. I dont know about others but this is my number 1 pet peeve when it comes to leadership when observing others.
  • As mentioned above always remain confident no matter how bad the situation gets.
  • Always show initiative.
  • Always keep an open mind and listen to your followers, especially if they know more than you. As a leader you have the final say on all decisions but if someone brings up a relevant point or suggestion always listen, consider and then decide. The worst kind of leader IMO is the kind that is stubborn, egotistical and disregards everyone else.
  • Always avoid ambiguity.
    Sun Tzu wrote: When the general is weak and without authority; when his orders are not clear and distinct; when there are no fixes duties assigned to officers and men, and the ranks are formed in a slovenly haphazard manner, the result is utter disorganization.
  • Always be firm but fair.
  • Final point. As a follower there are only two reasons why I would ever follow someone:
    • 1. someone has been appointed to a position where they are clearly superior by virtue of rank or assignment
    • 2. they are in my eyes clearly more competent and suited for the job than I am.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:21 pm

jimothy_183 wrote:I dont know about others but this is my number 1 pet peeve when it comes to leadership when observing others
I have so many pet hates around leaders. I suppose if you are a natural leader or even better suited towards a certain role or skill set to what is being conducted you can get a bit ratty and frustrated around that. For instance if you are a breacher and the leader has done a breaching plan or initial plan which in turn implements breaching you're like ahem. That's why I like Chinese parliaments to some degree - get the people involved and get comments throwing around. A tongue lashing won't hurt more than a tactical error leading to deaths. It's not a democracy, it's not majority = right or majority = do. It's a place for hopefully logical and intellectual, experience or theoretically born comments.

Pet hates:
- Leader is too slow
- Leader makes constant bad decisions (to my perception)
- Leader asks someone else - It's fine to ask for advice but not publically asking someone else about a command of which you're job is to give!
- Leader doesn't get in the fight
- Leader thinks he/she is above another, can lead to bad happenings such as tactical misunderstandings
Without this, he won't win respect. No stature, no team.

I have more pet hates for non-leaders, especially those without leadership experience. They get on my nerves because they can be a drain to the plan and objective. A clear objective with the tactical ability to do it can be diminished by those who don't try to excel about it or put passion into it. They tend to drag others down like a domino effect too.

Nice post btw.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Return to “Leadership, General Discussions”