"The plan never survives first contact"

Issues relating to good tactical leadership and planning can be found here.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Ryan

"The plan never survives first contact"

Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:21 am

But does it? Can't you use the plan's PRINCIPLE to keep going or work your way around contact?

Contact is going to happen at somepoint and the objectives will remain the same.

How do you guys feel about this? To me the quote sounds like you're planning for the sake of it, for the sake of avoiding confusion and creating unity during battle but it won't survive getting shot at so hip hip hurray. To me it sounds stupid and I personally hate it when people quote such one dimensional, generally based crap!

This leads me to my next question: How do you update and change plans on the fly?
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Breacher01

Re: "The plan never survives first contact"

Post by Breacher01 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:55 am

Having the best intel before deployment, and keep gathering it during deployment allows a experienced team to do their work regardless of planning. When structured radio contact degrades into team members under fire or injured a competent team is not dependent on changes is the plan or ROE from higher up the command chain, and everyone at the location will know what to do and what not to do.

Often the best thing is waiting for the radio chatter to silence, let the person in command get all the changed parameters, and decide how and if to continue. In the meanwhile good officers know how to behave and adapt.

Return to “Leadership, General Discussions”