tactical diagramming

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:19 am

Well I am analytical by nature, however there are other factors. One, I spent most of my childhood building houses. Two this type of house is common in my area. Three I have looked at several house from a tactical perspective. It is an art, not a science. I think it can be learned. There is no better practice then what we are doing here.

My thought is to let everyone post on this topic. Once everyone is done, erase it(we don't need a hundred of these on this sight), somebody else, post another house, front, back, side, whatever, and we start all over again.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:21 am

Sounds great.

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:41 am

Post one.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:42 am

I'll begin looking for one sometime today.

Jack
Law Enforcment

Post by Jack » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:48 am

Cool.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:19 am

Would it be desirable to have clues lying around the house like the one you posted or would you not mind having just a clean picture of the house?

jcheng14
Civilian

Post by jcheng14 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:47 am

Actually, since it is a real estate picture. I've no doubt that the yard and flower work will look nice. I don't think it necessarily has any bearing on the occupants. Of course they will tidy the house to take a picture of it so it can retail for higher.

Approaching the front door from the right side isnt a bad idea, but the bay windows jutting out could give a subject inside the house a shot at the front door without having to lean outside the house. Snipers would likely be able to counter fire....but....
Last reason that I dont like an entry in the front door is because the foyer area will probably be quite small, as split levels generally are. Immediately after entry the team would be on a small level with a higher and a lower level. Not particularly attractive since the different levels make the initial clearance of the kill zone harder. Indeed, the stairs to the levels make an attractive (to defenders) secondary funnel / choke that could be defended as well.

Another thought is to gas the place though the vent.

jimothy_183
Military

Post by jimothy_183 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:53 am

Oh yeah when are you going to delete this thread Jake?

I was hoping that my friend Alan would be given the opportunity to read this thread and post his thoughts when he gets the time to do so.

oldeafcoot

Re: tactical diagramming

Post by oldeafcoot » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:53 pm

With regard to tactical diagraming of houses and other buildings, it is a skill that can be acquired and transferred. Commander Sid Heal (retired) of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department used to teach this subject. He would take color slides of various buildings and explain how to analyze the structure to determine the internal layout. One way is to look at the roof. The are various fittings and pipes on the roof that provide clues to the layout. Remember of course, that this is area specific. The way things are built in Southern California is not the way they are built in Nova Scotia.
Sid and his brothers had worked in the construction trades, knew the building codes and construction practices. They knew that certain pipes protruding from the roof were vent pipes for sewer lines or vents for furnaces or water heaters. Knowing where these items were normally placed in the building told them what they needed to know to get an idea of the interior layout. The same is true of windows. We all know what a bathroom window looks like.
Different construction practices were used at different times, so you need to know how things were done in different eras.
Real Estate agents offer free flyers and brochures of homes and buildings they are trying to sell or rent. You can collect a number of these and analyze them. Start with your own neighborhood. You know what your home is like, so you won't have much trouble walking down the street and analyzing the other homes.
Every time I have moved in my career, my wife has dragged me through dozens of houses, finding a new place to live. It got so that I knew what the house was like inside when I pulled up at the curb.

Ryan

Re: tactical diagramming

Post by Ryan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:53 am

Yes, helps to know neighbourhoods, common areas, structures within suburbs.

Was this a whole lesson on Exterior Structure Analysis. :P It would impress me if all this was going through your head on a drive-by recon, skilled.

"This is partly to do with the reconnaissance phase of the plan. You can tell a lot about a structure and within it from the outside, for example the layout and pre-planning those possible obstacles, or confirmed ones. You need to know the extent of obstacles, the internal ratios of the buildings and walls (i.e. width and height) and key locations of interest within and outside a building."

If some of the windows are large enough maybe you could double ladder it up (not that you would due to it being a threat area). Looks like a nice house though... fancy.

You can split categories up though: detached, semi-detached. Double or single garage. Basketball stand means teenagers or children. Chimney can locate the living room. Double doors mean a larger room ahead. On and on.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."

Return to “Reconnaissance”