Hong Kong's SDU

Forum to discuss all related topics on elite police units.

Moderators: jimothy_183, Admin

Hong Kong's SDU

Postby Ryan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:32 am

Trained by the SAS and SBS. Hong's Kong's SDU. One of the best.

And having also trained with some of the most elite units on the planet, including SEAL Team Six back in the 90's, they remain to be some of the most cross-trained and experienced groups out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Duties_Unit
Last edited by Ryan on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
CQB-TEAM Education and Motivation.

"Pragmatism over theory."
"Anyone with a weapon is just as deadly as the next person."
"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."
Ryan

Re: Hong Kong's SDU

Postby jimothy_183 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:26 am

Ryan wrote:They continually train with some of the most elite units on the planet, including SEAL Team Six.

I don't really think that this is true. Remember that since the British handed HK back to China in 1997 the SDU has not been allowed to continue cross training with the SAS and SBS so I don't see why they [the Chinese government] would make an exception for a US SOF unit.

EDIT:

I am making some assumptions here but I would think that the reason why the SDU have not trained with the SAS and SBS since 1997 is because the Chinese government has disallowed it for political reasons.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus
jimothy_183

Postby Ryan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:11 am

You know my brain wasn't working. :p They were training with Seal Team SIX up until 1991 by Wikipedia standards. No doubt they train with units like PAP. But they have exchanged a lot of ideas with similar units around the world, trained by the British, trained with the Americans and now trained by the Chinese - as well as merging with other internal Police units and allies to receive more on-going training like the Airport Security unit, lot's of influences.

Very 'SAS' style.

Good demonstration videos.

"Unopposed CQB is always a success, if you wanted you could moonwalk into the room holding a Pepsi."
Ryan

Postby jimothy_183 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:23 am

Ryan wrote:No doubt they train with units like PAP... trained by the British, trained with the Americans and now trained by the Chinese.

I don't think that is true either. In the Chinese constitution it states that citizens of HK are forbidden from serving in the Chinese military. Now I'm being cynical but I would imagine again it is to do with the Chinese government not trusting the people of HK to serve in their military but at the same time still want sovreignity over them in order to gain more "turf".

Considering the above it would be unlikely that the Chinese government would want to arm a HK paramilitary unit with their own knowledge and experiences.
semper acer , semper velox , semper trux , semper promptus
jimothy_183

Postby Ryan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:41 am

So, stuck in the middle? Nice. Leaves them with limited choices which should make them learn some tough lessons.

I would of thought they would atleast try get something going and be productive but yeah.... politics. I don't know much about China or Hong Kong, you should of done this topic. :P

Still, the videos of them, big thumbs up. Very pro.

"Originally the Special Duties Unit received much of their training from British Forces Overseas Hong Kong, supplemented by visits from Special Air Service, Special Boat Service, and Parachute Regiment personnel. After about 15 years, the SDU took on its own training, mainly keeping with British special forces techniques but also exchanging ideas and holding frequent training exercises with similar units from around the world." There we go. British trained now influenced by that, doing their own thing. Good on them. Wonder how China feel about it, if they still do that similar type of training...

Ryan

Return to Elite Police